Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EGR Valve (Volvo GDI Engine)

Options
  • 27-07-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

In trying to rectify power and speed problem in my recently acquired Volvo S40 1.8 GDI with 112k miles on board, I took off the inlet manifold. (I'm still trying to find a solution of cleaning this as it's filthy with alot of encrusted carbon and crud inside which I cannot access since it's all plastic so if anyone has any suggestions please advise, pic of inlet manifold included)

I took off and cleaned the trottle valve which was very bad also and while that far took off the EGR valve which feeds all the exhaust gas to the inlet manifold. The EGR valve was again very encrusted in carbon, pics below, but a relatively easy job to clean if a bit messy.

Anyway the question is that the exhaust outlay pipe on the engine looks to have been blocked with some sort of metal plug. There's a mesh filter over the outlay exhaust which would make sense to prevent any large carbon particles in getting into the valve but why would the exhaust itself be shut off and would you recommend opening it again? There's pics below of the outlay exhaust with and without the mesh, does this look like it was deliberately blocked to you? Surely if there was a problem with the valve then just disconnecting the power would block the exhaust vent in a similar fashion, I can't think why the exhaust outlay would be blocked and surely this is defeating alot of the engines efficiency since it's continuously taking in fresh cold air?

Thanks for your replies.

Advertisement