Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Cameron in support of Turkish EU Accession

Options
  • 27-07-2010 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-10774159

http://news.scotsman.com/world/World-News-Cameron-to-pledge.6441214.jp
    David Cameron will strongly align himself today with Turkey's ambitions to join the European Union, hailing its potential as a "unifier" between East and West.

On a visit to Ankara, the Prime Minister will say that Turkey has a major role to play in securing international peace and security.

He will dismiss concerns among some in the EU about allowing a Muslim country into the union, praising the country's secular democracy and its support for Nato.

Is Turkish EU accession inevitable? Our president has given her support, I'm not sure what our Government's official stance is. Now Cameron appears to be on board.

I still don't know enough about Turkey and how it runs it's affairs to cast a vote of confidence in this. There is still the issue surrounding Cyprus which will have to be resolved.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's possible to be supportive of Turkey's ambitions to accession without believing they're ready to join just yet. There are a number of issues to be resolved - Cyprus being the main headliner - but for heads of state to be supportive of eventual accession can only help promote the resolution of those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well, Turkey still has some issues to sort out, and considering that major EU countries are right now opposed to Turkey in the EU, I don't see it happening any time soon, but who knows what will happen in 10 years time. Perhaps, the Cyprus issue and other stumbling blocks will be sorted out and things will have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

If Turkey sorted out its human rights issues and its issue with Cyprus people would still start screaming and crying about muslims joining the union. I don't see what the problem is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Not in Europe. Let them join the Asian Union instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    If Turkey sorted out its human rights issues and its issue with Cyprus people would still start screaming and crying about muslims joining the union. I don't see what the problem is?

Perhaps their continued denial of the Armenian Genocide might be a problem for some?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Sooner they get into the EU the sooner there's no danger of them stopping being secular, an unbelievably important thing. I wouldn't support them joining tomorrow though, they need to sort some stuff out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Perhaps their continued denial of the Armenian Genocide might be a problem for some?

That, the treatment of the Kurds, human rights generally......They're making some effort though, and I'd imagine they'd be a viable proposition in a few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

amacachi wrote: »
    Sooner they get into the EU the sooner there's no danger of them stopping being secular,

Why do you think that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

The carrot of eventual membership has spurred massive political and social reform in Turkey. I wholeheartedly embrace their application. Istanbul is one of the great cultural cities of the world and Turkey has a rich intellectual, literary and cultural tradition. Turkish admission will be good for Europe, and good for Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

I wonder what all the right wing euroskeptic tories will think of Cameron's comments;)

• Advertisement

Why do you think that?

Free movement, more trade, better economic situation etc. The odds of an Islamic revolution kind of thing is slim enough, but it's better for everyone if we get those odds even closer to zero if we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Although a nation with a Muslim majority, Turkey is, by law, a secular country. That's a lot better attitude than other EU countries, Ireland being one.
    Where do you get that definition from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Sooner they get into the EU the sooner there's no danger of them stopping being secular, an unbelievably important thing. I wouldn't support them joining tomorrow though, they need to sort some stuff out.

How about they stop being secular whilst a member of the EU? Current trends suggest a gradual movement away from a secular state, and whilst accession might reverse that it might be more pragmatic to not inherit a tinder box.

History has taught us that Turkey is a problem - and although it has shrunk to a more stable size (and contains mostly Turks) it is still hated by most of its neigbours (except Azerbaijan - and then that connection has a lot to do with being anti-Armenian... although thankfully that tension has recently cooled off).

Oh... and about the Kurds :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

How about they stop being secular whilst a member of the EU? Current trends suggest a gradual movement away from a secular state, and whilst accession might reverse that it might be more pragmatic to not inherit a tinder box.

History has taught us that Turkey is a problem - and although it has shrunk to a more stable size (and contains mostly Turks) it is still hated by most of its neigbours (except Azerbaijan - and then that connection has a lot to do with being anti-Armenian... although thankfully that tension has recently cooled off).

Oh... and about the Kurds :D

What makes you think that Turkey will turn from secularism? Despite the heart attacks in the west when the Islamists won power, the PM continues to respect the secular ethos of the State (Though he has a lot of angry Turkish generals to deal with) If anything, the succesfull transformation to normal democratic parties has been a good thing. The Islamists are quite tame in Turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

On what rationale? Turkey’s geographical location? On that basis, surely Cyprus should have been refused membership of the EU? Let alone the fact that “Asia” is an entirely 'Western-made' concept.

Denerick wrote: »
    What makes you think that Turkey will turn from secularism? Despite the heart attacks in the west when the Islamists won power, the PM continues to respect the secular ethos of the State (Though he has a lot of angry Turkish generals to deal with) If anything, the succesfull transformation to normal democratic parties has been a good thing. The Islamists are quite tame in Turkey.

My point was that it's unlikely, but it's better to make it even more unlikely. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

My point was that it's unlikely, but it's better to make it even more unlikely. :pac:
    There's more chance of a Sinn Féin takeover of Ireland than there is an Islamic takeover of Turkey - it's a non-issue.

Advertisement