Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the Timetable like for Computing in IT Tallaght?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Gonna be doing Computing in Tallaght in September at level 8. Have a bit of a problem though. I currently work part-time and I'm wondering will I be able to keep doing this during college. I need to work to support myself and that.

Can anyone who did the course tell me what the 1st year timetable is like. Do you finish at like 5pm everyday?

If you could even remember /have your timetable and could post it up it would be a great help. I need to get this clrified in the next week or so to tell my employer whether or not I'll be able to keep working there.

Thanks guys!

Dean ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Sorry man, you won't know until you start in September. And even then it will change a lot. Unfortunately it's like that across the board, some bosses are pretty understanding about it, but it's very all over the place for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

You obviously forgot you thanked one of my posts a while back on here.:D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65904782&postcount=6

I just finished 1st year, and had a part-time from December for the rest of 1st year and should be still in the same job for all of 2nd year. As I posted in the link above after the first week or two you'll realise there's a few subjects you probably can give a miss.;)

Misa-san wrote: »
    Sorry man, you won't know until you start in September. And even then it will change a lot.

Ye iirc mine changed nearly every week for like 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭7.Ronaldo

It will be tough but it's definitely possible. I've just finished 4th year Computing and throughout the course I never had a class start later than 5 PM. The further you go into the course the more favorable the time table becomes due to the heavy emphasis on elapsed CA's and project work.

In 3rd year and 4th year you generally only have 3 and a half days worth of lectures and labs with the Friday dedicated to project work. I worked part-time pretty much all the way through the course and it was very tough trying to get all the CA's done in time and to a high standard.

I've attached my timetable from last semester for you to have a look at. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

I have had classes go on until six and i know people who have been stuck in until 7.

Im sure you will be able to sort something out with the boss tho, i manage to keep a job as do most of my friends. and last year i was in college 30 hours a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I just completed 1st year computing along with Gavin (what a waster :D), anyways, as was previously said, the timetable changes a bit for the first few weeks, for us last year this meant some classes were moved to first thing in the morning or into a slot where we had previously had a 2 hour lunch break. Lecturers don't want to have to stay in the college late either so they'll try get things set up for the mornings.

Having previously studied in DIT I found 1st year computing to have a highly relaxed timetable, I mean we finished at 11am on fridays. We had a few days when we were supposed to be in until 5pm for labs, but if you pay attention in the software development lecture then the labs are extremely easy and you'll be finished well before 5pm.

cade wrote: »
    I just completed 1st year computing along with Gavin (what a waster :D), anyways,.

*Tips hat* that's me!
    cade wrote: »
    Having previously studied in DIT I found 1st year computing to have a highly relaxed timetable, I mean we finished at 11am on fridays. We had a few days when we were supposed to be in until 5pm for labs, but if you pay attention in the software development lecture then the labs are extremely easy and you'll be finished well before 5pm.

As cade said if you pay attention and do a bit of practice the labs are grand (I only figured this out in the last few weeks that practice makes things easier), also you could just do the labs at home in your own time if that was easier. I remember for software development labs I had a 2 hour lunch before it, so usually or the 2nd hour I'd go into a lab and just do the software dev lab and be usually finished in the hours I had spare.;)

Advertisement