Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More car trouble - advice needed

Options
  • 27-07-2010 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've got a 2002 Peugeot 406 2ltr Diesel. It had a full service nearly 6 weeks ago, and they changed the Timing Belt as it was at 142k miles.

Anyhow, I was driving home last night and the 'Battery Charging Warning' light came on, and the engine started to sound rough, like a fan was making a noise or something.

I got home, opened the bonnet, could smell something burning and could see a little bit of smoke, and then I heard and saw a belt snap. I don't know a lot about cars, but I'm guessing it might be the Alternator Belt ( as the warning came on about charging the Battery ). I've included a photo to show the broken belt.

So, I've a couple of questions!

1. Is it the alternator belt that's broken?

2. Is this easy / cheap to fix in a garage?

3. As I only got a full service 6 weeks ago, should I take the car back to that garage and could the cost be in any way covered by the garage?

4. I'm guessing the car isn't safe to drive, so I need to get it towed to the garage?

All advice appreciated, thanks!

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

jasonb wrote: »
    Hi there,

I've got a 2002 Peugeot 406 2ltr Diesel. It had a full service nearly 6 weeks ago, and they changed the Timing Belt as it was at 142k miles.

Anyhow, I was driving home last night and the 'Battery Charging Warning' light came on, and the engine started to sound rough, like a fan was making a noise or something.

I got home, opened the bonnet, could smell something burning and could see a little bit of smoke, and then I heard and saw a belt snap. I don't know a lot about cars, but I'm guessing it might be the Alternator Belt ( as the warning came on about charging the Battery ). I've included a photo to show the broken belt.

So, I've a couple of questions!

1. Is it the alternator belt that's broken?

2. Is this easy / cheap to fix in a garage?

3. As I only got a full service 6 weeks ago, should I take the car back to that garage and could the cost be in any way covered by the garage?

4. I'm guessing the car isn't safe to drive, so I need to get it towed to the garage?

All advice appreciated, thanks!

J.

Check if the pulley on the Alternator is seized, if its just the belt it isn't more than 30 euros to get sorted. Same happened to me when the plastic sump cover fell forward and the back went up into the alternator belt .. looked like a pair of burnt knickers and there was a burning smell also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your reply. So it is the Alternator Belt then? How do I check the pulley on the Alternator isn't seized? Is it just a case of trying to turn the wheel that the belt was on by hand?

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

jasonb wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. So it is the Alternator Belt then? How do I check the pulley on the Alternator isn't seized? Is it just a case of trying to turn the wheel that the belt was on by hand?

J.

The alternator belt looks snapped in that pic you posted , just get it changed 30euro for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

That's the alternator belt alright, it should have been changed along with the timing belt and looks to be pretty new but it's hard to tell for sure from the pic. It seems like a very clean break across the belt, maybe it was damaged during the install or over tightened. Just be thankful that it's just the alternator belt, I've heard plenty stories where alternator belts fail and get tangled up with the timing belt, taking them out too.

Thanks for all your replies!

Yep, it does look very new so I'm guessing it was changed with the Timing Belt. The break is very clean, almost a straight line across. Thankfully, as I got the car home before it broke, the engine wasn't running when it finally gave way so no other damage was done ( that I can see ).

As it looks like a new belt put in by the garage I got the service done in, should I be contacting them and expecting them to fix it for free? Or should I just bring the car to the garage that gives me the best price for the job? And I'm guessing the car needs to be towed to the garage?

J.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

Check all pulleys that this belt connects to, including power steering pump pulley and idler pulley, to make sure that they are not seized, and have caused the belt to snap.

Thanks a lot, I'll check out all the pulleys when I get home tonight...

J.

Advertisement