Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centre-Pin Reel?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Heya lads,

Looking for a birthday present for my brother who is mad for his fishing - mostly coarse but occasionally game fishing too (though trout as opposed to salmon). So we're talking float and ledger/feeder fishing and occasionally some spinning too. He has a ton of rear-drag Shimano reels but I was wondering if there's any point in going the centre-pin route? I know a little about fishing myself but not a great deal. Budget would be 150-200....what do ye reckon?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The centrepin is one of three things;

either it is a retro tackle collectors item to be kept boxed

or it is a rite of passage thing that we try to see how it is fishing with one as we pass along our angling career trying different ways of doing it. We get one, use it for a year or two and move on to more different things.

or it is something that begins like the reason above, but we find that playing fish in particular is extremely pleasant, and it also provides a special pleasure from getting it out and setting up to fish with it. In effect we add it to the ways we regularly like to fish from that point forwards.

If distance casting is invilved in the places he fishes it will be less useful. They are at their best short range to medium distance, and where trotting a float downstream, or rolling a worm for trout/salmon in a current they are brilliant. They can also be used in the same way as a multiplier reel for piking. Tenching in close is an ideal centrepin style of fishing.

The reels by J W Young are well made.
    http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/reels.htm

Advertisement