Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does youtube plan on taking over the world?

Options
  • 27-07-2010 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Something fishy. The biggest media revolution in many years, yet they are not charging a single scent. I think they will start charging and hold much political in campaigns around the world.

They can get rid of Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc with their own dedidcated channels. I think they have world domination in their sights.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

think this would be more of a conspiracy theories forum than paranormal topic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

CorkMan wrote: »
    Something fishy. The biggest media revolution in many years, yet they are not charging a single scent. I think they will start charging and hold much political in campaigns around the world.

They can get rid of Sky Sports, Sky Movies etc with their own dedidcated channels. I think they have world domination in their sights.

Well then I think you're completely deluded. At no point have they stated an intention. They seem to operate with an open source ethos in mind, which is how the internet should be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Like every single other business in the world, yes youtube want to expand. Stop the presses!

Its following all of google's services. They aim to be the global leaders in video sharing. In fact since buying the company, google has made significant losses with youtube, year on year. The reason they are keeping the service is they hope to eventually turn it into a profitable organisation, by charging ad companies for revenue.

So what exactly is the conspiracy? Company aims to make profit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

How come they cant make a profit?did they overpay for the site originaly? Just that the amount of hits they get(loads of video's over 1mil hits!!) should equal a decent income.

I know servers and bandwidth costs money but it should allow for a decent profit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Dont the Advertisers pay for 'Click Through' or summat, dosent matter how many people view the Youtube, just how manyt actuially click on a sponsors link.

Anyway they are owned by Google, So there must be some form of sinister Evil Plot simmernig away somewhere ;)

• Advertisement

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    How come they cant make a profit?did they overpay for the site originaly? Just that the amount of hits they get(loads of video's over 1mil hits!!) should equal a decent income.

I know servers and bandwidth costs money but it should allow for a decent profit

Youtube are keeping very tight-lipped about their current years profits. But lots of people are speculating that it is going to post a profit for the first time since it was bought in 2006.

The reason it loses so much comes down to bandwith. It costs a lot to host videos. Especially when there are so many that get so few hits. I'd say the average viewcount of a video would be a few hundred, as the vast majority of them are silly picture/music montages, or mobile phone videos.

What youtube want is to have TV companies, news agencies and youtube stars racking up millions of hits, to create proper revenue. I've noticed on some of the more popular videos they even have 10s trailer ads now aswell.

Here is an article about their profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

yekahs wrote: »
    Youtube are keeping very tight-lipped about their current years profits. But lots of people are speculating that it is going to post a profit for the first time since it was bought in 2006.

The reason it loses so much comes down to bandwith. It costs a lot to host videos. Especially when there are so many that get so few hits. I'd say the average viewcount of a video would be a few hundred, as the vast majority of them are silly picture/music montages, or mobile phone videos.

What youtube want is to have TV companies, news agencies and youtube stars racking up millions of hits, to create proper revenue. I've noticed on some of the more popular videos they even have 10s trailer ads now aswell.

Here is an article about their profit

I would love to earn 700 million and report it as a loss!

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    I would love to earn 700 million and report it as a loss!

That's their revenue! Unfortunately their expenses were even greater! :eek:

Advertisement