Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16E with Triax TD88 in Cork

Options
  • 27-07-2010 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Try as hard as I can, I simply can't pick up this bird for some reason with a Triax TD88 and Icecrypt 0.1 Quad LNB in Cork.I can get 1W, 4.8E etc with no problem but I just can't get anything between 13E and 19.2E.

The dish is mounted on a stand off pole (North facing wall) and is about a foot above the shoot on my roof.The fact that I can get 1W and 4.8E rule out the roof blocking the signal so... I'm stumped.The TD88 should big enough to pick up this bird, yeah?

Any thoughts welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭tomslick

I can pick it up in east cork with a fortec star 90cm and we all know how crap they are. I found if you are panning manually that 16 + 13 are the same.......... There is no clear dropoff in signal between the two. Set you STB to a unique 16 transponder and pan very slowly. It is there but it is flooded by the strenght of 13. A motor makes it possible to find it pretty easily and it moves very very little between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A 110cm is minimum in any drizzle. Make sure a clear sky, and do what tomslick says.

Even peak 13E and 19E, mark both positions with pencil or knife scratch across mount and then move 1/2 between. Elevation is less sensitive, so get elevation on 13E and then when you have a 16E station fine tweak elevation and skew on a 16E channel (signal and quality). Skew only affects quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

tomslick wrote: »
    I can pick it up in east cork with a fortec star 90cm and we all know how crap they are. I found if you are panning manually that 16 + 13 are the same.......... There is no clear dropoff in signal between the two. Set you STB to a unique 16 transponder and pan very slowly. It is there but it is flooded by the strenght of 13. A motor makes it possible to find it pretty easily and it moves very very little between the two.

Ah that's prob where I'm going wrong then.I could not hear a drop off in the signal with my sat meter when I moved from 13E.I'll head up the ladder later so and do as suggested. :)

watty wrote: »
    A 110cm is minimum in any drizzle. Make sure a clear sky, and do what tomslick says.

Even peak 13E and 19E, mark both positions with pencil or knife scratch across mount and then move 1/2 between. Elevation is less sensitive, so get elevation on 13E and then when you have a 16E station fine tweak elevation and skew on a 16E channel (signal and quality). Skew only affects quality.

Cheers watty.I did notice a jump from 90% to 94% in 13E SNR when I adjusted the skew according to dishpointer.com so was well happy there.

Ok.. I managed to pull it in at 79% SNR but I couldn't get the BER below 2000 so I only managed to scan in 200 services and most channels are unwatchable.Maybe I need to get a bigger dish!

• Advertisement

On second thoughts, I think I'll put back on my Triax Multi LNB bracket and stick with 13, 19 & 28 for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

As Watty already ritely stated You will need a 1.1 metre dish to have any chance of getting it...

I have put in a few of them for people in the past 2-3 yrs and anything smaller will breakup even on a dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Theres meant to be a new dish to replace this one somtime in October. Might make a difference to us. I barely get it on a 88cm in Galway

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Theres meant to be a new dish to replace this one somtime in October. Might make a difference to us. I barely get it on a 88cm in Galway
    As long as the new satellite isn't equipped with tight focus beams, to steer signals away from us!

steveon wrote: »
    As Watty already ritely stated You will need a 1.1 metre dish to have any chance of getting it...

I have put in a few of them for people in the past 2-3 yrs and anything smaller will breakup even on a dry day.

I thought as much, steveon.Prob 1.2m for the K1 nordic beam of Thor 6 too? Might as well get the right dish now.Was looking at a Gibiertini 1.25m.

• Advertisement

carbsy wrote: »
    I thought as much, steveon.Prob 1.2m for the K1 nordic beam of Thor 6 too? Might as well get the right dish now.Was looking at a Gibiertini 1.25m.

Havent done a dish for THOR 6, wats on it??? I have done THor `1 5w i tink from top of me memory, receivable on 8ocm but once again would recommend a 1metre for stable pictures in bad weather..

Havent done a dish for THOR 6, wats on it??? I have done THor `1 5w i tink from top of me memory, receivable on 8ocm but once again would recommend a 1metre for stable pictures in bad weather..

Ah just (hehe) a bunch of Scandinavian sports channels.The bulk of them are on Thor 6 as opposed to Thor 5.

ah rite ok...well best of liuck with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I have a motorised 1m Gibertini and I realigned it yesterday .
    The arc seems to be pretty accurate,good signal strength on most sats compared to what I initially had last year.
    However 16e seems to be alot weaker than I remember,even today there is large ber on alot of the channels.
    I know that 16e had some transponder issues earlier this year ,have they reduced the signal power or do I need to tweak the dish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Zardoz wrote: »
    I have a motorised 1m Gibertini and I realigned it yesterday .
    The arc seems to be pretty accurate,good signal strength on most sats compared to what I initially had last year.
    However 16e seems to be alot weaker than I remember,even today there is large ber on alot of the channels.
    I know that 16e had some transponder issues earlier this year ,have they reduced the signal power or do I need to tweak the dish ?

What part of the country are you in ?

1m in my opinion is only good for the east coast.

redout wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in ?

1m in my opinion is only good for the east coast.
    I'm in Kerry .
    I had a decent signal on Digitalb up until about December,I could watch it in all but heavy rain ,then the gales came and shifted the dish a bit.
    I lost it then and only realigned the dish yesterday.
    The snr on Supersports 1 is ~80% but the ber is 15-20k .Before on Supersports it was 84% and the ber was almost zero.
    I might try to realign the dish another day.
    On a side note the reason the dish went off line was due to it moving slightly Eastwards on the rotor arm.
    The motor was on the same spot on the pole ,it was rock solid and the pole was still plumb.Dish elevation was still the same too.
    However the clamps holding the back of the dish to the rotor arm had a bit of give so I tightened it up so hopefully the dish wont budge anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I'm in Kerry .
    I had a decent signal on Digitalb up until about December,I could watch it in all but heavy rain ,then the gales came and shifted the dish a bit.
    I lost it then and only realigned the dish yesterday.
    The snr on Supersports 1 is ~80% but the ber is 15-20k .Before on Supersports it was 84% and the ber was almost zero.
    I might try to realign the dish another day.
    On a side note the reason the dish went off line was due to it moving slightly Eastwards on the rotor arm.
    The motor was on the same spot on the pole ,it was rock solid and the pole was still plumb.Dish elevation was still the same too.
    However the clamps holding the back of the dish to the rotor arm had a bit of give so I tightened it up so hopefully the dish wont budge anymore.

Have you tried nudging it east/west via the remote ?

My arc got screwed up by strong winds back in january so instead of manually moving the dish back to zero I have it offset about 3 degrees west which has spot on once again.

redout wrote: »
    Have you tried nudging it east/west via the remote ?

My arc got screwed up by strong winds back in january so instead of manually moving the dish back to zero I have it offset about 3 degrees west which has spot on once again.
    Yip,tried nudging it ,no good.
    I had been manually adjusting all my sat positions since last November but decided it was time for a realign yesterday.
    Very stong signal now on all sats bar 16E .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yip,tried nudging it ,no good.
    I had been manually adjusting all my sat positions since last November but decided it was time for a realign yesterday.
    Very stong signal now on all sats bar 16E .

Theres another thread on this somewhere here, maybe in the satellite section. Ive noted that since all the goings ons in Jan, 16 east is much weaker. Some transponders i cant even get on a 1.1m!

snaps wrote: »
    Theres another thread on this somewhere here, maybe in the satellite section. Ive noted that since all the goings ons in Jan, 16 east is much weaker. Some transponders i cant even get on a 1.1m!
    I knew I read it somewhere.;)
    I was watching 16E last night and the signal strength on Tring had increased a good bit since earlier that day,it was up to 87% snr on all channels and no ber.
    Digitalb was solid enough too.
    Strange that the signal was significantly better at night as it was a very clear day yesterday .
    Signal is poor enough again now but its very overcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I knew I read it somewhere.;)
    I was watching 16E last night and the signal strength on Tring had increased a good bit since earlier that day,it was up to 87% snr on all channels and no ber.
    Digitalb was solid enough too.
    Strange that the signal was significantly better at night as it was a very clear day yesterday .
    Signal is poor enough again now but its very overcast.

Ive noticed the same!

snaps wrote: »
    Ive noticed the same!
    Sound,that confirms my suspicions.:)

Advertisement