Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its finally here. what do you think?

• 27-07-2010 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

Righteo, today is the deadline! Finally!

Got my collector edition free :D:D

brother also got a free copy of the full game. Really love his mate!

Anyway, what does everyone think so far? Im downloading my copy now, as i dont have a dvd drive but its 7.08GB!!

3 hours :(

Brother has it running now, and it LOOKS FANTASTIC!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Righteo, today is the deadline! Finally!

Got my collector edition free :D:D

Brother has it running now, and it LOOKS FANTASTIC!

I thought you couldn't activate the digital download until 0900 GMT (1000 CEST) May do that as wouldn't get to shop until 1200 due 'important real world stuff'!

FREE copy....jealous! Well done.

As an aside why is the digital download 7.08Gb while the specs say it needs 12Gb free hard drvie space?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

well i activated it, and its downloading now. :D gonna sleep for a while then play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

its good, theres a LOT of fmv and plot in the early stages at least which can be a little slow but theres loads of backstory if thats your thing and an elite minigame :)

Havent done MP yet, waiting for all the pros to do placement so i can get a relatively easier hand:P

Dustaz wrote: »
    its good, theres a LOT of fmv and plot in the early stages at least which can be a little slow but theres loads of backstory if thats your thing and an elite minigame :)

Havent done MP yet, waiting for all the pros to do placement so i can get a relatively easier hand:P

i plan to just loose all my placement matches and work my way up.

When i played the beta, i won all my matches, then got dumped into the gold league. i won about 5% after the placement matches. it was a useless system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Won't be getting my copy till the morning but I'm watching Day9 launch party at the moment which is pretty good fun. They just had an interview with Jim Raynor's voice actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Funky wrote: »
    Won't be getting my copy till the morning but I'm watching Day9 launch party at the moment which is pretty good fun. They just had an interview with Jim Raynor's voice actor.

Me2 looks like I wont be getting any sleep tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Have to wait until after work. Think I'll cut my teeth in the SP before I even touch the multi player :) Not looking forward to the stomping I am going to get there lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Regretting not buying it in a shop now... have to wait until tomorrow, but I'm not in the office tomorrow... so I won't get to play it until Thursday evening. Rats! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Scráib wrote: »
    Regretting not buying it in a shop now... have to wait until tomorrow, but I'm not in the office tomorrow... so I won't get to play it until Thursday evening. Rats! :mad:

Mine's waiting for me in Game =D but i'm in work till 1pm, couldn't sleep last night, was up til 5am =( Gonna be a slow day in work, and it's only 4 hours. That's 50 years in limbo time (according to inception)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can anyone give me some tips for mission 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Which mission is it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its the one where
    the engineers have to collect the gas from the protoss shines but then the protoss start sealing them up and I just cant seem to get them all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I keep skipping that missions, cause i dont want to piss off the Protoss again :P

Good idea,its very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Its the one where
    the engineers have to collect the gas from the protoss shines but then the protoss start sealing them up and I just cant seem to get them all
    There's one right by the base that's easy to get to, and then there's 3 to the NW/N, I let them seal the first one, and went for the other 2 then, but if you have a big enough force and can take the one they try to seal with little casualties,go for it.Then one area close to their base has about 3 close to each other, so get an army that mostly consists of marines,medics,marauders and goliaths, and go there and try and harvest the 3 of them at once.

I think the trick is that if you don't think you can stop them sealing a shrine, don't go for it, go for a different one, and always guard the SCVs.Put up a few missile turrets in your base aswell just for protection.

If you don't want to get marauders,if you have the upgrade that allows to build medics without a tech lab, build the reactor and just spam out marines as fast as you can, and add in 1 or 2 diamondbacks, for some heavier hitting then.

titan18 wrote: »
    There's one right by the base that's easy to get to, and then there's 3 to the NW/N, I let them seal the first one, and went for the other 2 then, but if you have a big enough force and can take the one they try to seal with little casualties,go for it.Then one area close to their base has about 3 close to each other, so get an army that mostly consists of marines,medics,marauders and goliaths, and go there and try and harvest the 3 of them at once.

I think the trick is that if you don't think you can stop them sealing a shrine, don't go for it, go for a different one, and always guard the SCVs.Put up a few missile turrets in your base aswell just for protection.

If you don't want to get marauders,if you have the upgrade that allows to build medics without a tech lab, build the reactor and just spam out marines as fast as you can, and add in 1 or 2 diamondbacks, for some heavier hitting then.
    I just spam marines and medi's, works a treat against protoss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Its the one where
    I know there've been previous replies but...
    There's 2 pretty close by, then move up north to the three in the same valley and clear out the minimal protoss forces there. You can guard 3 SCVs easily with M&M and Tanks. I ignored the protoss sealing shrines for the most part and expanded into the middle, set up shop there. I had upgraded M&M so preferred those over goliaths. Plop down a few missile turrets in your expo (if you get it) or main and stack 2 siege tanks behind supply depots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Enjoying it so far.

Found myself very much at home and falling back on old habbits of research, replay watching and theorycrafting etc.

So far I'm 7 wins out of 7 online.

I plan to run the entire 50 practice games in the hope of getting a vast experience in different enemies and races. I'm hoping to get my ass handed to me a few times, as its the only way to learn, so far it has been very easy and the level of opponent has been very low.

I'm a complete SC2 noob, never played before, but I have good RTS habbits that seem to be transferring well to this game.

Micro is a bit of an issue for me. WC3 units had big health and could take a pounding. You didnt have as many units as SC2, but the WC3 ones had more health, and with every race and build you had someway to regen health in downtime.

SC2 seems very much if a unit gets battered it might aswell be left for dead. I am microing ok , but find units are dieing so fast. I also find I'm killing enemy units extremely fast also.

So far I'm loving getting back into a blizz RTS and I'm happy I got this.

BTw, my Dad bought me this, as a suprise and had it on the breakfast table, he thought it was the new World of warcraft expansion, bless him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I just did that one with soe ease
    You need to focus on having two teams. One for collecting and one for killing off the protoss who try to cap points. I focused on the following Goliaths and Mauraders for team 1 and 3 reapers for team 2.

Team 1: There are a number of areas where you can cap 2 points at the same time because they are right across from each other, the protoss land forces tend to be pretty small it instead focuses on sending in large air forces, kill the big blue one first as he does the most damage and then the gunner ones your mauraders will wipe up stalkers (and if you got concussion grenades they will keep the zealots down aswell).

Team 2: Micro 3 reapers from your base to whatever geiser is being plugged (you need to micro to avoid them going through the middle base) and quickly jump in, kill the drone and run away, he will then retreat his forces or go for your base, either way its another 3 minutes or so without them trying to plug again. Keep a medic in your base to heal any surviving reapers and send them out again when needed. Only 2 points. 1 There is a moment when they will send two drones to two different points, as long as you had reapers built prior the long capping time is more then enough to hit both. 2 there is one point I couldnt reach in time its the one right outside the north base and I couldnt reach it not because of time but because the point is really heavily defended

If you want (and I did it) you can easily wipe out the middle base with team 1. It will make trips back and forth easier without fears of being jumped by stalkers, I didnt really try a full scale invasion of the northen base, but if you want all 3 artifacts you will need to push up to just outside it as the third is there gaurded by turrets and zealots (NE the other two are NW and SW but both are easy to get to.)

My only moment of panic was I got badly smacked at one point by a force attacking my base, but as long as you have a few AA turrets and at least 1 bunker you should be fine.

Impressions of single player is varied, I really like the inter mission segments and it adds alot of character that each mission comes from a different source.

The initial levels had me annoyed as they were far too similar to starcraft 1 for my liking but once the game gets going it is a strange mix of refreshing old school mechanics with clever level design

I really liked the I Am Legend inspired irradication level as it reminded me quite alot of warcraft 3 and I just did the train robbery...Really annoyed those diamond backs are not in multiplayer now they kick serious ass.

Few things I noticed

Blizzard dont seem to cheat in their level design, every force I have faced in single player has a source point... They follow the games mechanics for resource + base building which is surprising since so many other single player campaigns tend to ignore the basic mechanics and simply spawn in opponents using scripts or calling them off screen, they rarely need to apply the resource requirements to produce them, for example the company of heroes single player has no resources at all for the A.I they just build what they want or it automatically comes off map from defined points.

I.E everything is on the map from the get go, uber units are there in their corner and every other unit is produced from a building in some fashion. Remove building, remove unit production, in the case of normal zerg/terran/prtoss units the resource mechanics apply, so they will always have a base nearby resource gathering and punching them out In the case of special units (the infested mobs) they still come from a building requirement but dont need resources hence the ability to mob. There's little to no off map elements from what i've seen so far.

This is a sort of weakness in the game's design I am not liking very much. I could be wrong but there's not much room in the game for sudden midlevel shifts. In comparison to say the recent C&C games and Company of Heroes which really played with this notion (start with one objective, slight shift, new objective, major shift, last objective) it's sort of confining feeling that everything you will face is already on the map from the get go. At the same time if you are a cheeky c*nt like me you can cripple the A.I in a few maps by using reapers or other hit and run units effectively.

But like I said I could be wrong, i'm only 10 or so missions into the game and it might turn out they are saving the more dynamic mission structures for the later game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I am loving the protos missions atm :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement