Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do get get back on a kayak?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

hi again guys
    i put up athread a few weeks ago about buying a kayak and thanks for the replys and help.
    anyhow as a result i bought a 2 seater malibu and been out a few times with the kids just along the shore line and not to deep water. but would like to venture a bit further.

my question is how do you get back into the boat if it overturns. i have been trying the last 2 evenings but cannot get in, the youngfella has no bother he is 9 and quite light and can just pull himself up the side of the boat without it toppling back over on him. iam not great at swimming and don't make much headway through the water and iam fairly outta shape so getting back into the boat seems like quite a task tbh

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

First thing even if you not a great swimmer kick your legs out behind you as it will stop them going under the kayak.
    Ive 2 suggestions.
    #1 Mount it from the rear climbing up on the back like a surfboard grabbing up as high as you can infront of you and pulling your self on to the kayak on your stomach.

#2 get the kid to hold the kayak on one side as you get up first on the opposite side, this will depend on your weight and the size of your kid.

Hope this helps,

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

pmccormack wrote: »
    First thing even if you not a great swimmer kick your legs out behind you as it will stop them going under the kayak.
    Ive 2 suggestions.
    #1 Mount it from the rear climbing up on the back like a surfboard grabbing up as high as you can infront of you and pulling your self on to the kayak on your stomach.

#2 get the kid to hold the kayak on one side as you get up first on the opposite side, this will depend on your weight and the size of your kid.

Hope this helps,

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

lol thanks paddy will try your first suggestion and see how i go.
    i have allready tried your second suggestion and catapulted the poor yougfella back out over my head and into the water:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Put some deck lines on the boat. I would strongly suggest doing a course. Even pay an qualified instructor in your area to go out with you and your kids a few times to go through the basics. He will go through safety stuff that you wouldn't think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If you're not a strong swimmer, venturing too far from the coast might not be such a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Find the centre of gravity of the boat in the water. In a normal closed Kayak this is usually the rear of the cockpit and no matter how much pressure is put onto it when the paddler is getting into the boat it wont sink.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 waterdogadventu

Get some instruction.

You don't have to do an i.c.u course, but it would be well worth it to hire an instructor for the day, or half day and get them to run through the basics with you.

I cannot recommend this enough.
    It looks easy, and for the most part it is, but when things go wrong at sea, even near the coast, they can escalate VERY quickly.

If you want you can P.M me and I can put you in touch with someone near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Get some instruction.

You don't have to do an i.c.u course, but it would be well worth it to hire an instructor for the day, or half day and get them to run through the basics with you.

This is probably the best bit of advice you will receive, I couldn't recommend enough how much of a positive effect some time with a quality coach/instructor will have on your enjoyment of your time on the water.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubes

If you're not a strong swimmer, venturing too far from the coast might not be such a good idea.

Clearly not related to the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,518 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Clearly related to safe paddling. He's heading out to see with kids and he doesn't know how to climb back on to the boat. Sorry OP, not an attack on you at all, don't take this the wrong way, but the amount of people buying canoes that don't take lessons is amazing. People I know, they know nothing about tides, beach rips, what buoyancy to wear, what gear to wear, rivers eddies, breaking in, ferry gliding, basic strokes, weather fronts, wind etc... and they are heading out in their droves, those sit on kayaks are like floating lumps of plastic buoyancy, surely the wind catches them? I have a personal friend who claims to be an experienced paddler after buying a sit on. She had never read the sea area forecast, imagine she got caught in Cheek point on an ebbing tide? Only a matter of time before we hear bad news. I hope it's a long time.

Again OP, not a personal attack on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Lucky,
    You would be surprised at how much water a kayak can take on and still be buoyant.

You should take your kayak to a pool, where you can stand and try to submerge it. You'll see that most are designed so that they cannot be fully sunk. There's a little sealed off compartment in the one I have.

Next lift one end up and allow the water to drain out. Don't attempt to dead lift the entire kayak, or get the end a foot or two out of the water. You're not horsing the boat but finessing it. To get the water out does not require brute force.

Next, once you see what I mean about finessing the water out, go into the deeper section where you cannot stand and practice the same. Then, you'll be set.

Again, you're not trying to get all of the water out, just enough so that you can maneuver easily, get back in, and get to safety.

A pump is a handy thing to carry.

l_l_543_Kayak_Pump.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 donadonie

Hi there,

i wonder if anyone can advise me on what kind of kayak i should be looking for.
    I am a novice and i am looking for a kayak i can use on lakes and rivers predominantly but would like an all rounder.
    Can anyone advise me on a make and model also i dont want to buy a very expensive one

Advertisement