Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for learner?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've a 19 year old son (God help me!!!!) who's about to do his test and I want to help him get a small car on the road - can anyone advise of insurance companies who will provide him with a quote?

All help greatly appreciated

Donal

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My advice would be to ring around as many insurance companies as you can. Don't bother with online quotes - just keep ringing. It will be very expensive for a 19 male on a Learner Permit however.

Is he getting his own policy or are you adding him as a named driver? I am an 18 year old male, and I was 17 when I started learning to drive (I have a full licence now). I got insurance with Aviva, as they had a special deal. For €400, they give 10 lessons with an Aviva instructor and you get 6 months accompanied driving cover on a car that is insured with Aviva (my mother had to switch her insurance to Aviva). As my mother and father were the only insured drivers in that car, only those two could act as my accompanied driver. I thought it was a good deal, but I don't think it applies if he is getting his own policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Quinn-Direct
    Hibernian Aviva
    Axa

probably your best bets for young drivers.

You haven't really given a lot to go on for a price, but if I was to hazard a guess, 19 full license and 0 NCB, probably €1600 or so for something 1.2-1.4....

Advertisement