Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC WDYTYA? new series

Options
  • 26-07-2010 9:22pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In case people here have missed it, started last week with Bruce Forsyth, Rupert Everett on right now on BBC1.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Two very good episodes so far :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I thought they could have investigated the first wife more thoroughly this evening. On the BBC familyhistory board, they've already done more and traced her! Bruce's was very good though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Tonight's episode is on Dervla Kirwan; supposidly Michael Collins is her great uncle. Should be good for researching Free State family members. Can't wait!

Dervla Kirwin's father's side of the tree is actually more interesting than the Michael Collins story :)

Agreed and very sad too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

I found several articles where Henry appeared in court for betting offences - usually with someone named Joseph Kahn. At least one of these (dated Oct 1901) was before the same recorder that imprisoned Henry later on - Frederick Falkiner.. so here seems like there may have been some history between them..

I'd love to know if Henry actually did damage Mrs. Marks shop window on Aston quay and if so why - some dispute over a bet ?

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oms

Hi ShaneW

Where can i find the 1901 article or any article about the above. I too would like to know about the shop window. I saw the one about Henry Kahn. I am a relation of them and the programme was an eye opener and very sad about the rascism. Look forward to reply.

I think it was in the Irish Times Archive.. see http://www.irishtimes.com/search/archive.html (subscription website)

I also found a few other details - e.g. Henry's adult baptism to RC, if that's of interest let me know and I'll find the link and post it

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oms

Thanks Shane, will pass on to my cousins. I have found the baptism, death cert. not online. All very interesting.

I think I saved copies of the articles ....I'll have a look and let you know.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Aah! I missed it!

Thanks for the heads up - might still be available on iplayer but if not I'm sure I can track down the episodes from one source or another!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 3 little birds

Anyone know if Dervla Kirwan's episode is online anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

If you are in the UK (or know your way around IP blocking) you can see it on the BBC iPlayer. They do eventually release it all on DVD, but that will be €€€... There might be other sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

On Monday August 23 its about the comedian Alexander Armstrong. He has some Irish connection(s) as his starting point is Burkes Irish Landed Gentry. Could be Interesting.

Oh that could be interesting. Burke's ILG is fascinating...I have access to a copy from 1912 if anyone needs a look-up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 caroj

I hope Alexander Armstrongs Irish "landed gentry" ancesters is not the Middleton Estate in Sligo.......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

caroj wrote: »
    I hope Alexander Armstrongs Irish "landed gentry" ancesters is not the Middleton Estate in Sligo.......

Whatever turns up will never improve on the spoof.

Oh I do love that skit. I had tears running down my face watching it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 caroj

I didn't know who Alexander Armstrong was when I watched the sketch ages ago and when the WDYTYA lineup was announced I remembered him from it. very funny sketch indeed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Oh that could be interesting. Burke's ILG is fascinating...I have access to a copy from 1912 if anyone needs a look-up.

if its not too much trouble could you look up someone for me???
    Frank Leslie Sheridan born 14-Nov-1892 formerly of the Indian Army with an address in Dublin his fathers name is Hugh. i think he was anglo-irish . thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

caroj wrote: »

Nope.

An excellent episode IMHO.

if its not too much trouble could you look up someone for me???
    Frank Leslie Sheridan born 14-Nov-1892 formerly of the Indian Army with an address in Dublin his fathers name is Hugh. i think he was anglo-irish . thanks

I nearly missed this! It's better to pm this sort of request - for future ref.
    There's no Sheridan family in Burke's ILG 1912. I double-checked the current Burke's Peerage in case they had a title as well - none there either.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

I'm getting weary of WDYTYA now......it's all story and very little research value.

I'd rather it turn (if at all) to real people's research ....those that do it for themselves.

timespast wrote: »
    I'm getting weary of WDYTYA now......it's all story and very little research value.

I'd rather it turn (if at all) to real people's research ....those that do it for themselves.

Well, luckily for you there's only one episode left in this season. We've said this before: it's entertainment, not pure genealogy and they wouldn't get the ratings or the interest if they were not doing celebrities. And while I wouldn't mind them showing a bit more research, no one wants to watch someone else going through hours of paper work or worse microfilm!:eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, luckily for you there's only one episode left in this season. We've said this before: it's entertainment, not pure genealogy and they wouldn't get the ratings or the interest if they were not doing celebrities. And while I wouldn't mind them showing a bit more research, no one wants to watch someone else going through hours of paper work or worse microfilm!:eek:

6 hour episodes, in silence :pac:

Then the celeb turns to the camera and is asked "So, did you find anything?"

Celeb: "No, nothing today, unfortunately..."

Crew: "Right, ok then...."

*end of episode*

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Alicat wrote: »
    6 hour episodes, in silence :pac:

Then the celeb turns to the camera and is asked "So, did you find anything?"

Celeb: "No, nothing today, unfortunately..."

Crew: "Right, ok then...."

*end of episode*

That sounds like a couple of the live Time Teams when they didn't find anything! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭timespast

If you said it before then sorry but I wasn't around...I must have been researching.

Of course it's entertainment....... I've become weary of it.

I was thinking more of presenting this subject in another form......after all it cant be all about ratings. If that was the case RTE would of been closed down years ago.

genie wrote: »
    That sounds like a couple of the live Time Teams when they didn't find anything! :D

I love Time Team but Live is just a mistake :pac:

Excellent episode to end on. I've always liked Alan Cumming but this episode really touched me. One of my favourites.

• Advertisement

Alicat wrote: »
    Excellent episode to end on. I've always liked Alan Cumming but this episode really touched me. One of my favourites.

I was a bit disappointed - very little genealogy. I know I've made the point about entertainment before but this was just about what happened to his grandfather; albeit interesting and moving.

Best episodes of the series: Hugh Quarshie, Jason Donovan, honourable mention for Dearbhla Kirwan due to the Irish connection.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement