Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Eircom phonewatch alarm

Options
  • 26-07-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Here is the unit in question:

alarm.jpg

Every 4 hours ( only when in standby and not activated) it starts beeping every 10 seconds or so. When i press the status button it's exact word are "sensor 2 hallway motion alarm system low battery"

So we change the battery on that motion sensor along with all the others but it still does it with the same message. Any ideas? Maybe a reset ? it's driving us mad at this stage LOL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

when you press the status button and it give you the info press the disarm button to clear the memory.
    if this doesnt work, put the system into walk test and test a few sensors including the one showing the low batt.
    as seen before on this forum some ppl put the batteries in back to front so worth alook at that too.
    you have to open down the first lid on the front and follow the instructions, ie press walk test and enter your code, when finished just close up the lid and it will go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭altor

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Here is the unit in question:

alarm.jpg

Every 4 hours ( only when in standby and not activated) it starts beeping every 10 seconds or so. When i press the status button it's exact word are "sensor 2 hallway motion alarm system low battery"

So we change the battery on that motion sensor along with all the others but it still does it with the same message. Any ideas? Maybe a reset ? it's driving us mad at this stage LOL

The system low battery is the back up battery in the alarm panel. Drop the front lid, enter your user code. It should say, please select from start menu. Press the test button, then done to accept the test. Test all your sensors, it will then say, sensor test complete, press done again. Close up the lid and if it still says system low battery you will need a replacement battery.

If you need any more info let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Thank you both for the replies. I cleared the fault code and it got rid of the sensor fault but now it says " System battery low" so i presume it's the battery in the unit. Is it an easy swap?

Thank you both for the replies. I cleared the fault code and it got rid of the sensor fault but now it says " System battery low" so i presume it's the battery in the unit. Is it an easy swap?

Your welcome,

You will need to drop the lid, enter your code. The release the back lid to get at the battery. As always there is main power in this unit so turn off the mains before opening the second lid. The panel will keep all the configurations except the time but when you power back on the alarm you can reset this. Bring the battery with you when getting a new on as it will need to be the same one to fit this panel.

Any problems, let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

She could do with a wipe and a spring clean (dry cloth).. :D

• Advertisement

Tim M-U wrote: »
    She could do with a wipe and a spring clean (dry cloth).. :D
    I can explain that. Someone got fed up of the beeping and someone put that brown tape over it and when pulled off it left bits on it :D

Ok i took out the fuse and the unit went dead no lights or nothing, i'm sure they should stay on?

so i took the 6 v lead acid battery out and measured the voltage it read 6.7 volts however when i put it back in ( fuse still out and load back on) it dropped to 5.1 which i assume should not drop below 6? So the battery is fecked?

When the fuse is in it does get the charge voltage it raises to about 8.5 ish. I always thought if a lead acid battery was kept charged they wouldn't sulphate and would last longer than 4 years?

I can explain that. Someone got fed up of the beeping and someone put that brown tape over it and when pulled off it left bits on it :D

A bit of WD40 will clean it up for you ;)

Ok i took out the fuse and the unit went dead no lights or nothing, i'm sure they should stay on?

They would stay on for about 20 seconds then go off till you press a button on the keypad. If the battery was ok it would do this.

so i took the 6 v lead acid battery out and measured the voltage it read 6.7 volts however when i put it back in ( fuse still out and load back on) it dropped to 5.1 which i assume should not drop below 6? So the battery is fecked?

When the fuse is in it does get the charge voltage it raises to about 8.5 ish. I always thought if a lead acid battery was kept charged they wouldn't sulphate and would last longer than 4 years?

The battery is not holding the charge, it should be able to hold its voltage instead of dropping when the power is off. Fecked is a good way of putting it :D

yea, altor's right, she's 'fecked' so.. :D.
    To be honest, if it kept beeping I'd nearly get a hammer and welt it to pieces if it kept beeping! (I would not recommend this, honestly!):D

..yea some WD40 should do it!:rolleyes:

I know the beeping can be annoying but it is there to notify you of any faults on the system. They can be turned off but its not recommended. Its always best to address the faults ;)

Anyone know where to get a 6v 3.2 ah lead acid off hand ?

• Advertisement

I will send you a p.m with info.

altor wrote: »
    I know the beeping can be annoying but it is there to notify you of any faults on the system. They can be turned off but its not recommended. Its always best to address the faults ;)
    I know.. I would address them but usually they are not major problems!:D

EDIT:
    You should be able to get this from an eletrical supplier, see the supplier list.

Tim M-U wrote: »
    I know.. I would address them but usually they are not major problems!:D

Your alarm not working is not a problem until you get broken in to ;)
    If your alarm is beeping as loud as the Simon alarm panel does you will fix it rather than having it wake you up :D

Quick question, can that system be set so that there is a delay that when the motion senses it won't go off straight away like with the doors. We always set it going to bed but it goes off before i can get to the panel in the morning.

Quick question, can that system be set so that there is a delay that when the motion senses it won't go off straight away like with the doors. We always set it going to bed but it goes off before i can get to the panel in the morning.

Yes the motion needs to be set on entry/exit. Do you have engineer access to the panel, or do you have any paper work off the alarm from the install ?

Yes the motion needs to be set on entry/exit. Do you have engineer access to the panel, or do you have any paper work off the alarm from the install ?

Engineer access? you mean when i flip the lid down and enter my secret code? There could be a book around somewhere but where it is i'll have to look.

Engineer access? you mean when i flip the lid down and enter my secret code? There could be a book around somewhere but where it is i'll have to look.

That is just the user menu you do be in. There is another menu you enter the same way but with the engineer code. If you can get the paper work i will talk you through changing the setting on the motion detector.

another solution to this is to get a remote keypad for the landing, its wireless and can do pretty much all the functions the keypad on the panel can. they are quite expensive so altors suggestion to change the pir to exit entry is a better/cheaper option but i just thought ied mention the remote as a lot of ppl who have simon systems especially the systems that have a lot of pirs might not know about the wireless keypad.

another solution to this is to get a remote keypad for the landing, its wireless and can do pretty much all the functions the keypad on the panel can. they are quite expensive so altors suggestion to change the pir to exit entry is a better/cheaper option but i just thought ied mention the remote as a lot of ppl who have simon systems especially the systems that have a lot of pirs might not know about the wireless keypad.

Another way would be a keyfob, it is cheaper than the keypad but not as secure.

Another way would be a keyfob, it is cheaper than the keypad but not as secure.

very true....keyfobs are handy but i never liked using them with the simon cause of the loudness of the beeps.....not nice first thing in the mornin but the fact they have a panic button built in is a good thing.
    ps ......is there anyway of turning down the loudness of the beeps on the later version simons, i know the e/e beeps are chagable but not sure about the fob beeps.

• Advertisement

very true....keyfobs are handy but i never liked using them with the simon cause of the loudness of the beeps.....not nice first thing in the mornin but the fact they have a panic button built in is a good thing.

The panic is good, but the keyfobs are not very secure in my own opinion.
    ps ......is there anyway of turning down the loudness of the beeps on the later version simons, i know the e/e beeps are chagable but not sure about the fob beeps.

Unfortunately not indie.

Advertisement