Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Bin Tags

Options
  • 26-07-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭

I have just receved a leter from FCC advising that fake bin tags are being sold by door callers in my area. They ask that anyone who is approached by someone offering bin tags to contact them with the details.

They also say that bins will not be lifted if there is a fake tag attached - the tag will be removed and become part of an ongoing investigation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

^^
    a man came knocking our door while back with loads of bin tags, i said maybe next time, he left his name and number which i threw out, think his name was mike (blonde hair)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

They also say that bins will not be lifted if there is a fake tag attached - the tag will be removed and become part of an ongoing investigation.
    The bin men pick up bins with long expired annual stickers (it took until August of last year before they stopped picking up a bin of a neighbour :rolleyes: ). With that lack of enforcement I find it hard to believe that they will take the above action, though, of course, I would like to see it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Had a guy knock on the door selling bin tags a couple of weeks ago, I'm not with Fingal I'm with Panda so just told him that. Got the letter also.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Got the letter too.. Haven't had the guy call round, but I doubt the bin men even inspect the tag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Had a guy knock on the door selling bin tags a couple of weeks ago, I'm not with Fingal I'm with Panda so just told him that. Got the letter also.
    me too iirc we live in the same area,was a guy driving a van taxi who was trying to sell them to us for 5.50,saying that though I bought a few and they worked fine,althought if I had if known they were fake I wouldnt of bought them

• Advertisement

triple-M wrote: »
    me too iirc we live in the same area,was a guy driving a van taxi who was trying to sell them to us for 5.50,saying that though I bought a few and they worked fine,althought if I had if known they were fake I wouldnt of bought them
    Didn't you think that someone selling cheap bin tags was a bit suspicious?

Are you going to use the bin tags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

daymobrew wrote: »
    The bin men pick up bins with long expired annual stickers (it took until August of last year before they stopped picking up a bin of a neighbour :rolleyes: ). With that lack of enforcement I find it hard to believe that they will take the above action, though, of course, I would like to see it happen.

I'm not sure if this is really a guide. It might be the natural thing for the binmen to assume all stickers were up to date after a certain time and neglect to continue checking.

If a specific problem such as this one with the tags is highlighted to them I imagine there'd be far greater notice taken as they have to remove the tags in the normal course of their work anyway. It's not exactly a giant step to checking that it's genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I switched to Panda about 12 months ago and after about 15 phonecalls and 4 registered letters, Fingal Co Co still haven't bothered their @rses to come and take my old bins away. So I doubt the criminal masterminds behind this scam are worried they are going to be caught anytime soon.

Don't the official bin tags have holograms on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Didn't you think that someone selling cheap bin tags was a bit suspicious?

Are you going to use the bin tags?

no wasnt suspicious sorry for the late response btw,its common for people in my area to sell bin tags as most residents are entitled to free bin tags off the sw and dont use all of them,I used the bin tags and didnt have any issues with anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Arciphel wrote: »
    I switched to Panda about 12 months ago and after about 15 phonecalls and 4 registered letters, Fingal Co Co still haven't bothered their @rses to come and take my old bins away. So I doubt the criminal masterminds behind this scam are worried they are going to be caught anytime soon.

Don't the official bin tags have holograms on them?

Ring them and tell them you have arranged for someone to drop them back to the depot and you will be billing them for the courier service. They'll be out pretty quick sharpish to collect them.

• Advertisement

triple-M wrote: »
    its common for people in my area to sell bin tags as most residents are entitled to free bin tags off the sw and dont use all of them
    It's annoying to read that some people are selling their excess bin tags and making a 100% profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

It's annoying to read that some people are selling their excess bin tags and making a 100% profit.

I agree. It's pure fraud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's annoying to hear people get free bin tags!

Advertisement