Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT to move to Grangegorman

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

They've been moving to Grangegorman for the past 5 years if not longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

Jim236 wrote: »
    They've been moving to Grangegorman for the past 5 years if not longer...

thats the first thing that came to my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 7,394 ✭✭✭Trampas

5 years been longer than that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pipe dream for another few years methinks. Once the concrete starts pouring and it has about €200m more spent on paperwork, red tape and general bullcrap, THEN I'll believe it might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Amazing how the powers that be think the whole thing can be achieved for €30M, according to their announcement yesterday. And what do they propose to do with the resultant building stock, some of which is less than 30 years old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Amazing how the powers that be think the whole thing can be achieved for €30M, according to their announcement yesterday.

Could you link to the source that says that? I believe that the initial plans for establishing all of DITs facilities to the new site ran into the hundreds of millions. And as far as I am aware that is still the case. It's clearly not possible to build a whole new campus for that figure (30m).

Another Grangegorman thread here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hiya,

Just to confirm that the reports are correct, the new campus will be proceeding as reported in the newspaper. The €30m figure reported is incorrect, and the correct figure is closer to €500m as reported in the Indo here: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/work-to-begin-in-weeks-on-exciting-city-quarter-2273308.html

The work will begin this summer, when construction of mental health facilities starts. This will enable the remainder of the site to be cleared and ensure that current patients in St Brendan's are looked after in modern, safe accommodation.

According to an e-mail from the President to all staff, a more detailed announcement will take place in September when the Minister for Education officially launches the project.

It's great news for future students, and the plan is that 50% of students will be on the new campus by 2015, and it will be a huge leap forward in the quality of Library, Teaching and Laboratory facilities and Sports and Recreation facilities.

Good news as I said - unfortunately many of the current students won't be around by the time the new campus opens (unless you plan on doing a PhD), but hopefully we'll see you back there using the facilities as an alumni!

Regards,
    Brian G

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

campuslife wrote: »
    Hiya,

Just to confirm that the reports are correct, the new campus will be proceeding as reported in the newspaper. The €30m figure reported is incorrect, and the correct figure is closer to €500m as reported in the Indo here: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/work-to-begin-in-weeks-on-exciting-city-quarter-2273308.html

The work will begin this summer, when construction of mental health facilities starts. This will enable the remainder of the site to be cleared and ensure that current patients in St Brendan's are looked after in modern, safe accommodation.

According to an e-mail from the President to all staff, a more detailed announcement will take place in September when the Minister for Education officially launches the project.

It's great news for future students, and the plan is that 50% of students will be on the new campus by 2015, and it will be a huge leap forward in the quality of Library, Teaching and Laboratory facilities and Sports and Recreation facilities.

Good news as I said - unfortunately many of the current students won't be around by the time the new campus opens (unless you plan on doing a PhD), but hopefully we'll see you back there using the facilities as an alumni!

Regards,
    Brian G
    Hmm Ill believe that when I see it. I was told in first year Id be there in fourth year. Also what facilities can you use as an alumni?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

mental health patients and dit students :) what a combination :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mental health patients and dit students :) what a combination :)

They're one in the same tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

Priority will be given to school, healthcare and job creation projects. Projects which will be deferred include Metro North to Dublin Airport, Dublin's DART underground, the prison at Thornton Hall and the Grangegorman DIT single campus project.
    from rte
    just incase anyone still believed it was going ahead, but its been fairly clear considering they were meant to have planning for buildings at this stage. i love the contradiction of where priority will go considering it grangegorman education and health

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

According to the independent the project has been axed altogether.

Link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 penpusher

Understandably disappointing, but i think its entirely expected and appropriate. primary and secondary education takes priority - DIT HAS a campus after all

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I was actually at a Student Conference this morning, and Prof. Norton was in attendance. We had a chance to ask him some questions, and Grangegorman was very much to the forefront of the discussion, understandably.

He said that the media has sensationalised it a lot and confirmed that the development will take place.

He said that only about 20% of the funding was coming from the government. The source of the other 80% was still being sourced as originally planned.

Aside from that, it hasn't been scrapped, it has been delayed by 1 year. Payment will be made for the project, only it will be one year later than was originally planned. Grangegorman is a priority one project for the Government, and the minister said as much in his speech yesterday if you read the full transcript and not just the bit that was aired on TV.

Prof. Norton also said that it won't delay the project by much at all, as they are simply going to reschedule the building works.

Another point he mentioned is that the college already has a substantial amount of money in the bank for use on the development, and that the An Board Pleanala hearing will be in the very near future, within the next two weeks, he didn't have the date to hand.

The rest of the conversation we had with him was under Chatham House Rules, so I can't go any further into what he said.

TL;DR - The project is still progressing, however it will be in a slightly different order to what was originally planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

and that the An Board Pleanala hearing will be in the very near future, within the next two weeks, he didn't have the date to hand.
    ABP hearing about a 2billion development under his control and he isnt sure of the date:eek:
    wasnt the rest of the funding meant to come from the sale of the other DIT properties.... while the cost of construction has fallen by about 33% hasnt land values in Dublin fallen further? pretty sure its nearer 50%. i can only see bigger and bigger shortfalls in funding...
    and he is in dreamland if he thinks the government will pay up next year, especially when they can renage on stuff like the st andrews agreement (regarding the N2/A5 but thats a different thread)

overshoot wrote: »
    ABP hearing about a 2billion development under his control and he isnt sure of the date:eek:
    wasnt the rest of the funding meant to come from the sale of the other DIT properties.... while the cost of construction has fallen by about 33% hasnt land values in Dublin fallen further? pretty sure its nearer 50%. i can only see bigger and bigger shortfalls in funding...
    and he is in dreamland if he thinks the government will pay up next year, especially when they can renage on stuff like the st andrews agreement (regarding the N2/A5 but thats a different thread)

He knew it was either next Weds (may not have been Weds, I can't remember), or the weds after, I'm sure he has an awful lot on his plate lol.

It was, but he said that DIT never revalued their buildings upwards during the boom, so they are still worth what they said they were worth during the boom - I'm not too sure of the inns and outs of it, there's a reason I nearly failed Management Accounting!. He didn't give details, but was quite certain that they would sell. He said that there was also other sources of income, however he didn't specify.

With regards to the Government reneging on the agreement, Prof. Norton was quite confident it wouldn't be (I'm assuming he knows something he didn't tell us), and it's not payable for another couple of years anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Aside from that, it hasn't been scrapped, it has been delayed by 1 year

So it's due around 2053-ish, then?

So it's due around 2053-ish, then?

There or there abouts! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I assume they can subsidize the 20% with all the money they saved in the last 10 years from not improving any of the facilities under the pretense that "everything's moving to Grangegorman". They had it under control the whole time, like a gymnast with a bag of cats.

• Advertisement
Advertisement