We have updated our Privacy Notice, you can read the updated document here
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Card and Phone Trick

Registered Users Posts: 658 Chunks

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can shed some light on this trick that's been played on me recently by the father in law. He's a mad one for the riddles and card tricks. I've managed to figure out most of them but he's got this one trick he does that I can't fully figure out.

It goes as follows:
    • Pick any card from this deck
    • "Ok, got one, it's (for arguments sake) the 3 of clubs"
    • Now he picks up the phone, it can be either a mobile or landline. Dials his brother and hands me the phone without saying a word.
    • I tell the brother (it can be any one of 5 brothers by the way) who i am and the card i'm holding is...
    • ... and they get it right everytime.

Now, I know there's no text messaging involved, no pre-messages of any kind. It's all done very well. I know there has to be a method of communication between the person doing the trick and the other person on the end of the phone. that's the bit that's throwing me, I can't figure it out.

He know's i'm close and due to this is refusing to do the trick again for me in the fear i'll figure it out.

Can anyone please tell me how it's done? I'd love to know so that I can modify it and do a similar one back on him without him knowing how.

Possibly use the spoiler option when posting incase anybody doesn't want to know?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

Society & Culture