Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Article] Boy racers' turning own vehicles into death traps

Options
  • 26-07-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Young men tampering with car technology to boost performance
    Large numbers of boy racers are buying black market computer chips to replace the manufacturers' electronic control unit (ECU) computer chip which controls the performance of diesel turbo engines. The process is known as 'chipping'.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/boy-racers-turning-own-vehicles-into-death-traps-2271792.html
    The black market chips remove the controls and allow the engine to run to their maximum speed. In a typical two-litre diesel turbo-charged engine, the new chip would increase the brake horsepower by 30 per cent from 170bhp to 230bhp.

^^ That's some return on a chip. Anyone know what car or remap does this? What controls is he talking about when he mentions maximum speed? Speed limiter?

Sorry if this has been posted already. I couldn't find it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

it has been posted , and its a bit bullsh*t , at best a 170 vag diesel can be mapped to 200 if you push it, youd need allsorts to achieve those gains

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055979932

Figures are off the wall to make the article more "sensational" than it should be.

60bhp from a remap is unheard of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

draffodx wrote: »
    Figures are off the wall to make the article more "sensational" than it should be.

That particular line could be applied to pretty much ANYTHING published in that sham-rag. The Independent is right down towareds the bottom of the pile when it comes to reporting and journalism. They're just short of putting nipples on it to sell more. Pity to see another paper go into such decline. 'Black Market' chips? FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Why not write an article to the Indo reporter that wrote that and demand written evidence of these claims he is making :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

vectra wrote: »
    Why not write an article to the Indo reporter that wrote that and demand written evidence of these claims he is making :D

Plan to after work.

Yawn, awful muck to be reading, it's not even news, superchips were common enough back in the mid to late 90s. Grand life getting paid to write that moronic drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

draffodx wrote: »
    Plan to after work.

Please share when you get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lol why its labeled as boyracer death traps?

i thought boy racers use only petrol un less then 1.6?

2.0 turbo diesels are pure rep cars... :rolleyes:

i think soon they will put the blame of all world wars on boyracers lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Because everyone that chips their car is a young man or a boy racer....

• Advertisement

steve06 wrote: »
    Because everyone that chips their car is a young man or a boy racer....

now by your logic i sow about hundred boy racers on a way home, as boy racers have a new "thingy" - buy turbo diesels :eek:

p.s. thanks got you made them separate lol. not often you see young people and boyracers mentioned separatly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Pointless article, changing the ECU will make damn all difference in terms of safety. Making huge increases on power without upgrading brakes, suspension etc. is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

now by your logic i sow about hundred boy racers on a way home, as boy racers have a new "thingy" - buy turbo diesels :eek:

My post was more of a question to the OP... not a statement! I'm annoyed that people hear 'chipped' and they young male or boy racer!

steve06 wrote: »
    My post was more of a question to the OP... not a statement! I'm annoyed that people hear 'chipped' and they young male or boy racer!

miss understood a bit m8, sorry :D

anyway, bull**** artcile, if they whant some ratings, they could atleast do it a bit more realistic...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Right lads, i'm going to close this, since there was another thread started about the same thing. Linky.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement