Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a Used Car for €5,000 - What should I go for?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm looking to buy a second hand hatchback car and have a budget of between €4000 and €5,000 to spend. To be honest, I don't know much about cars and what I should be looking out for when buying one second hand.

I've narrowed down the list of cars to one of the following:

Fiat Stilo
    Mitsubishi Colt
    Ford Fiesta

Am I making the right choice? Is there anything I should be wary off with any of these models? Or can anyone suggest any other make / model that would be worth look at for the budget I have?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

The only piece of advice I have is DON'T buy a Fiat Stilo. I am not a Fiat basher, I owned a Stilo and then 2 grande puntos. The grande punto are part of the new generation of Fiat and are very good cars, the Stilo is not.

My Stilo used to randomly refuse to start in the morning, after 10 visits to the dealer to repair this as well as random dash rattles and leaks the dealer took it back and gave me something else. It is not a good car and for 5k it will not hold its value or be worth the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what age are you , how many miles do you drive and how many years ncb do you have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

plenty of used octavias knocking around for that money ...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Uncle Rico

@ Speedway - thanks for the advice. I've been warned by one or two people before about the Fiats in general.

@ EC - I'm late 20s, drive about 8,000 - 10,000 miles a year max and have 3 years NCB. I'm just looking for something to get me in and out of work.

@ MP - I'll have a look what's available. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭kingbrumak

Uncle Rico wrote: »
    @ Speedway - thanks for the advice. I've been warned by one or two people before about the Fiats in general

Has anyone had any experience of having to change a front lightbulb in a Fiat Stilo? I experienced this recently and nearly laughed myself to bits when I found out you have to disassemble the whole front wheel arch to get to the damn front lights! :eek: Which Genius came up with that idea?

My advice would be to go for the colt, maybe look into a nice MIVEC, depending on your insurance budget of course :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement