Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a kayak

Options
  • 26-07-2010 7:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was hoping we could set up a thread to give people information on choosing the correct kayak for there requirements?

I am looking into buying a kayak but I don't really know what I am looking for, make, model, dimensions.

I understand each kayak is better suited to a different water environment/purpose. But is there any kayak that does it all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

Deedsie wrote: »
    I understand each kayak is better suited to a different water environment/purpose. But is there any kayak that does it all?

Unfortunately not.

This article does a good job of explaining the differences between different types or white water kayaks.
    http://adrian.playak.com/index.php/articles-mainmenu-5/5-articles/93-whitewater-kayaking--how-to-get-started-choosing-a-boat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

To be honest you could get away with paddling any kayak in most situations,
    Any creek boat/Larger Kayak can be used on rivers, the sea, distance, Small surf, liffey decent etc.
    Same could be said for a play boat the main disadvantage with them is lack of forward speed, How ever a lighter paddler adult or kid may find a playboat perfect for most occasions.
    Sea kayaks again can be used as intended on the sea, doing some surfing, paddle rivers, they have great forward speed but lack the mobility of a river kayak turning is a greater effort.

Growing up I only ever had one boat and I did everything in it and as a beginner the kayak You choose is almost like a stepping stone that in a year or 2's time you may decide well I like this type of paddling more ill get this type of Kayak.

As a beginner i would say think of how much you can spend, then look at your options. If you have learned on a river and wish to do abit of all aspects of the sport and be comfortable a larger Volume Kayak ie a creek boat may suit you better and the design aspects (Plaining/rounded Hull) of the kayak will not be as important to you as a beginner.

The market is massive personally advising people on kayaks really depends on the budget, If you can afford brand new then the choice is yours and you can be really picky, if you only have say €300 to spend you will have to simply see what you can get on the second hand market.

First question to ask your self when choosing a kayak, where will I be using it? and go from there.

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 waterdogadventu

To be honest you could get away with paddling any kayak in most situations,
    Any creek boat/Larger Kayak can be used on rivers, the sea, distance, Small surf, liffey decent etc.

Yup, and you could cycle from Cork to Dublin on a uni-cycle, in theory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Yup, and you could cycle from Cork to Dublin on a uni-cycle, in theory.

Sure could it would be tough though and you would have to avoid the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I have to hand it to Zuppylurk, his thread fits the bill perfectly here!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement