Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VAG 1.6 vs 1.4?

Options
  • 26-07-2010 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I've heard complaints about the VAG 1.4 for years, specifically the one on the Mk4 Golf.

At the moment I'm looking to buy a 00-02 Passat, Toledo or Octavia 1.6.
    Does the 1.6 suffer from similar problems to the 1.4?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The VAG 1.6 is a fair bit better, and the gearbox is better too. The Octavia's enormous boot increases the performance even further ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The 1.6 is a great engine but it is seriously underpowered for a passat or car of that class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I would think a 1.4 is just simply underpowered for a golf

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.4 litre is an overall poor engine, both underpowered and very unreliable. The 1.6 litre is old but generally reliable but would not bother with it in a car the size of the Passat, both have soft gearboxes so make sure the one you are looking at is not on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

bazz26 wrote: »
    The 1.6 litre is old but generally reliable but would not bother with it in a car the size of the Passat, both have soft gearboxes so make sure the one you are looking at is not on the way out.

Is the 1.6 in the updated Passat the 8v or 16v?

There isn't a huge difference between the weight of the Passat and Octavia. They go for similar money too so it seems to make sense to go for the Passat since it's a bit higher up the range.

Drove an Octavia yesterday and wasn't blown away by the quality of the thing. Felt very cheap inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Passat is from a class above the Octavia so I'd imagine it weights a bit more than an Octavia. The Octavia is based on the Golf despite the appearance of being bigger.

The 1.6 litre engine in the Passat was the 8 valve unit afaik.

Advertisement