Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iphone 3gs update 4.0.1, error 1603

Options
  • 26-07-2010 1:58am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭


    tried to update my iphone 3gs to version 4.0.1, had to first update my itunes which worked fine.

    downloaded the update and it started to install, five minutes in it tells me it cant install the update to my phone because of unknown error 1603, and now my phone has been in "restore" mode for the past twenty minutes, cant do anything with it!

    (i think its restore mode, only thing on the screen is the apple sign)

    any help ?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 28,184 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey


    Hold the home button and the power button to restart the phone and try again, go over to apple.com and search that error in their support section, same thing happened me and it updated on the second try.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    its now showing on my iphone screen that i need to connect my iphone to itunes, which i did..

    itunes is telling me i need to "restore" my phone.

    will this erase everything?

    need help quickly, thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz


    You should be safe if you have already backed up your 3GS before.

    P.S. HERE IS SOME APPLE INFO


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    it says all my media and other data will be erased!

    my itunes also fecked up about 6 months ago and most of my music was deleted, so iv been dragging and dropping music to my iphone rather than syncing so that it wouldnt delete the music from my phone that was deleted from my itunes, so not all of the mmusic&apps that were on my phone are in my itunes.

    anything i can do or do i have to just suck it up and click restore?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    clicked restore :(


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz


    Try cancel the restore process and then restart your pc.Now try power on the fone again and see if it's stuck on the connect to itunes logo.If so try updating from the freshly restarted pc.When you don't sync your iPhone you
    are usually taking the chance of saying goodbye to your contents/history.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz


    PlayGirl wrote: »
    clicked restore :(

    Good things come to those who wait:rolleyes:
    Hope it goes well for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    bazzz wrote: »
    Try cancel the restore process and then restart your pc.Now try power on the fone again and see if it's stuck on the connect to itunes logo.If so try updating from the freshly restarted pc.When you don't sync your iPhone you
    are usually taking the chance of saying goodbye to your contents/history.

    appreciate it, but your about 30 seconds too late :(

    i didnt sync it to minimise the risk of loosing all my stuff :(

    if its completely wiped i might sell it and get a HTC...


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    bazzz wrote: »
    Good things come to those who wait:rolleyes:
    Hope it goes well for you.

    10/15 mins is a long time to wait at 2:30am! :o


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz


    PlayGirl wrote: »
    10/15 mins is a long time to wait at 2:30am! :o

    If it restores this time it might give you the option to restore as original iPhone(the last time you might have sync'd) or from new.Go for the old option
    ,who knows what you might recover.;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    bazzz wrote: »
    If it restores this time it might give you the option to restore as original iPhone(the last time you might have sync'd) or from new.Go for the old option
    ,who knows what you might recover.;)

    wiped :(

    almost a years worth of stuff gone !

    :(:(:(:(:(


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh


    I can tell you right now it won't be music or apps.

    iPhone and iPod touch: About backups


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    contacts and photos back, music and apps gone !

    so i should always sync? or is drag and drop ok ?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz


    PlayGirl wrote: »
    contacts and photos back, music and apps gone !

    so i should always sync? or is drag and drop ok ?

    Myself I'd always sync,but its a case of 'horses for courses'.The photo's and contacts would be the valuable loss,the music can easily be replaced.And if you'd ever sync'd your apps you could always restore them too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl


    bazzz wrote: »
    Myself I'd always sync,but its a case of 'horses for courses'.The photo's and contacts would be the valuable loss,the music can easily be replaced.And if you'd ever sync'd your apps you could always restore them too.

    syncing now..

    only ever sync'd my apps once, about 8 months ago, so iv to download a load again now !

    lesson learned i suppose :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz


    Ahh well at least all is not lost and you're back up and running now.;)Goodluck


Advertisement