Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheel alignement bearing question

Options
  • 25-07-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi.

I was looking at a relation of mine working on a car earlier today and noticed something that i was wondering what it was when he took the wheel off.

On the metal part that the tyre goes around had 2 little metal objects attached to them. They are about the size of a pea (maybe a little bigger). They were on opposite sides to each other on the wheel.

I asked my relation what they were and he told me they were for to correct wheel alignment. However, I am wondering how such a small piece of metal (which I can only assume weighs very little ) can have any bearing whatsoever on the weight of a car.

Can anyone please advise me on what the device is, it's function and how exactly it works?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

djt0607 wrote: »
    ... On the metal part that the tyre goes around had 2 little metal objects attached to them. ...

These are "balance-weights" attached to the wheel and have nothing to do with alignment. See here.

Advertisement