Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on 2nd hand car purchase?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭

Lads and Ladies, am looking for bit of advice.

In the market for a second car. Recently left the job that had a nice company car with it (A4 :() and now need to pick something up for a medium term replacement. As you can see going from an A4 to the wifes fiesta has been a bit of a come down, but no matter.

Looking at something to do me for 2-3 years or so. Likely then we'll have to pick something up a bit more kid friendly, so wifey has been kind enough to basically let me buy what I want.

Not looking for anything tacky, but something easy on the eye would be great. Sporty looking is cool, just not skangermobile territory tbh. Want something with a bit of power too, will be doing a fair bit of motorway driving with new job etc, so being able to step things up for overtaking etc would be nice. Not overly worried about tax price, with the stupid system they are now operating I'm expecting to have to pay for something decent. Budget is going to be somewhere between 3 and 5k, depending on value for money and that. Ideally the cheaper the better, as it means I'll be able to pick it up quicker, but for the right car, with NCT and stuff I don't mind paying extra.

Have seen been looking at a few 3 series and Golf GTIs online. Good choices? Am I on the right track here?

Comments

You'd get a very nice E46 325 or 328 BMW for under €5000 but it would be an 00, 01 or an 02 (maybe if you're lucky), if the age and the tax isn't a problem that's what I'd recommend, much classier car than a Golf GTi of for the same money, unmolested ones don't look tacky or boy racerish and the large engined versions are great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

cheers RJ

I'm not to bothered about the year tbh, something well built will be grand at that kinda age group I'd say. Thanks for the suggestions, anything other than that ?

Volvo or Saab petrol turbos may be worth a look. Some Saabs suffer from oil sludge issues, in saying that so do some 1.8Ts in the Golf GTi. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more replies to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I'd say people are sick of threads like this at this stage lol ah we'll see maybe someone will have a inspirational moment.

No disrespect to any Volvo drivers, but no way I'm buying a volvo :p maybe its just in my head but I think at 30 to have a Volvo makes me into my dad. Not a good thing

Advertisement