Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RDS Dublin Horse Show

Options
  • 25-07-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭

So, with one of the biggest horse shows in Ireland quickly approaching, I am just wondering... Is there many people planning on going this year with the recession?

I've heard many people say that they aren't going this year because of it but I'm curious to know if it is the same everywhere.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I'm working all wk at it so free pass thank you very much, positioned in the main ring! \o/

Otherwise I'd probably head up for one day but to go all wk is pricey enough. They are getting very strict with passes this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Ya couldn't get me a free pass too Jemmy??

Lol I joke, I joke...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

sup_dude wrote: »
    Ya couldn't get me a free pass too Jemmy??

Lol I joke, I joke...:p

Lol ah if I could get you all one I would, but alas...! :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

See you there Jemmy, dont let Donal keep you down in Simmonscourt!! :)

Be there myself working for a magazine so the free pass aswell. Cant wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ju_q

Am definitely going one of the days with my sister. Was hoping to get to the Connemara classes, but I think it'll end up being sat or sun cos she;s haveing babysitter difficulties! Are the weekends as good for showing classes as mid week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I'll definitely be going :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

ju_q wrote: »
    Am definitely going one of the days with my sister. Was hoping to get to the Connemara classes, but I think it'll end up being sat or sun cos she;s haveing babysitter difficulties! Are the weekends as good for showing classes as mid week?

Heres a link to the show website with the list of classes and when they are on

http://www.dublinhorseshow.com/index.jsp?p=342&n=352

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Yep, there's a general admission ticket which gets you access to all of the show. The only thing it excludes is seating around the main arena where the big showjumping competitions take place. However, there is lots of standing room around the arena. Just remember that Friday is the 'biggest' day at the show and will be packed, but there should be a good atmosphere.

Apart from showjumping, there's lots of showing classes going on, as well as lots of trade stands and some non horsey entertainment, too.

If you take a look at the RDS website you may get some more useful info.

Best of luck, and enjoy the day if you decide to go! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

This post has been deleted.

From what I can remember there is seating around the main arena that the general admission ticket will get you into but you would not be guarenteed a seat and would have to grab one early. If you pay the extra €35 (I think thats what it is this year) it just means your guarenteed a seat in the grandstand. There is a concrete stand over to the side that is lovely to stand or sit in on a nice warm day but there is no cover over it, the anglesea stand is covered and seated and you can access it with a GA ticket.
    Lovely day out even if your not really into horses but be prepared to spend money, even for a bag of chips or an ice-cream it's expensive. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Not a real equestrian fan but do love watching the horse show.

Just curious, how would the RDS horse show be considered compared to the other showjumping events around the world ? Sort of like Wimbledon being the most prestigious tennis competition.

A lot of 'foreign' riders love coming to Dublin for the Horse Show as it's pretty unique. There are very few, if any, specifically built showgrounds in the world which are in a city and kept in such wonderful condition. They also comment on the wonderful atmosphere and fantastic reception they receive, even though they aren't 'Irish' riders!

I remember hearing/reading an interview with one of the top riders about this. I must see if I can dig it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Not sure if this is entirely the right forum on which to post the following, but:

I'm just wondering, are RTE still using those painty opening titles and that waltzy theme tune for their coverage, as they have done for the previous four Shows?

It's just that I'm on holiday at the moment, and so cannot catch coverage of this year's event.

Yep, they're still using the same opening titles and theme tune! Not my favourite, I have to admit! :(

It's just that I'm on holiday at the moment, and so cannot catch coverage of this year's event.

This thread may be of some interest to you re. coverage of the show online. :)

convert wrote: »
    Yep, they're still using the same opening titles and theme tune! Not my favourite, I have to admit! :(

That just goes to show how cash-strapped RTE are then!

The synthesised theme tune used until 2004 was infinitely better.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

I remember that - wish I could hear it again! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This thread may be of some interest to you re. coverage of the show online. :)

just came in to post the link for that!

http://www.horsebox.tv/show/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The commentary is so weird...

Live! Internet! Live!

Have to agree the commentary is, ummm, unusual... And somewhat unimpressive.

• Advertisement

Horsetiger wrote: »

Same here - would be a shame if no trace of it survives.

Same here - would be a shame if no trace of it survives.

I'm sure it's somewhere in the RTE archives... Or sitting at home on a tape somebody recorded on a VCR. The problem is digging them out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Horsetiger

While we're on the subject of music and the RDS - does anyone have any idea what is the upbeat celtic song played during the lap of honour for the competitions in the Main Arena? :)

Tried to find it (or any horse show theme tunes from RTE) on the net, but no luck, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

Anyone catch the Pussiance yesterday?? The song that came on when the riders & horse jumped clear was head wreaking!! I actually didnt want them to clear it bescause it was that annoying!! Anyone else feel the same?? and surely it had to have annoyed the horses as well, no??

Just sitting down to watch the Grand Prix now - the big business end of the show :-)

Also the coverage on RTE is crap compared to years ago!! I remember the days when they showed all FIVE days :-) and even had a catch up show in the evening!! With the old opening music which was so much better :-)

I'd love if the showed the 'Cheese Chase' again - used to be what i was waiting for the whole five days!! :-)

Anyone catch the Pussiance yesterday?? The song that came on when the riders & horse jumped clear was head wreaking!! I actually didnt want them to clear it bescause it was that annoying!! Anyone else feel the same?? and surely it had to have annoyed the horses as well, no??

So it wasn't just me then? Nice to know I'm not getting grumpy or intolerant in my old age! :)

I suppose they're trying to create some sort of atmosphere, but judging by the huge crowds around the arena I think there was a really good atmosphere there yesterday. There always is for the Puissance.
    Also the coverage on RTE is crap compared to years ago!! I remember the days when they showed all FIVE days :-) and even had a catch up show in the evening!! With the old opening music which was so much better :-)

I'd love if the showed the 'Cheese Chase' again - used to be what i was waiting for the whole five days!! :-)

Yeah, the coverage of the Horse Show really seems to have been reduced over the years. Probably because it's a minority sport, or something...

I used to love going to see the Hunt Chase, and/or being able to watch it on TV if I couldn't go. I suppose they've stopped showing it because it's a 'hunt' chase, and therefore don't want to get drawn into the politics of appearing to support a pro-hunting competition.

At least it's now back in the main arena after been moved to Simmonscourt for a few years.

On that note, does anyone know what hunts are in the competition this year?

Have a look at the link above - they may be covering the hunt chase. The quality isn't fantastic, but it's a great facility to be able to watch the classes/competitons from the comfort of your own couch! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭TwilightFan88

So it wasn't just me then? Nice to know I'm not getting grumpy or intolerant in my old age! :)

Well im 21 and it annoyed me!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bondy22

While we're on the subject of music and the RDS - does anyone have any idea what is the upbeat celtic song played during the lap of honour for the competitions in the Main Arena? :)
    Hi Horsetiger.
    It is "toss the feathers" by the Corrs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-awvWnqNvc

• Advertisement
Advertisement