Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Damage to catalytic convertor ?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Last week I got a new timimg chain ( nissan primera ) expensive but ok with that it needed to be done

I only got the car back and i was getting intermenent problem, it was only firing on 3 clyinders brought it back they explained and showed me that while doing the chain the connector from coil to plug did not reconnect right, they cleaned it and reconnected it and cleared mgt light and offered if it came on again to change connecter ( don't have them in stock otherwise would have done it there and then ). it has come back on

my ? is I have to use my car while i contact them and make arrangements to have same done whcih may take couple of days am i doing any damage in the meantime to the cat ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

If unburnt fuel is entering the cat you will cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

Thanks

How would this damage ? show up in the handling of the car ?

Should have added in case I have to go back to them at later stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Has this only happened since they have replaced the chain? It certainly could be the case, but it could also be the case that the timing hasn't been set correctly, causing a mis-fire/detection/eml.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Has this only happened since they have replaced the chain? It certainly could be the case, but it could also be the case that the timing hasn't been set correctly, causing a mis-fire/detection/eml.

i dont think so ? the readout he printed in front of me says misfire clyiner2 he pulled the lead off and the car ran the same i.e on 3 clyinders he cleaned with a long pin type tool reconnect and it ran fine ( for a c couple of miles )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭2yung2adm

The unburned fuel from that cylinder will damage the cat. Symptoms of a damaged cat will be a loss of power to begin with.

Advertisement