Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for One Day?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hows all, I am wondering about getting insured in my brother's IS200, for one day (for my debs:o). Just wondering is it possible to get insured for one day, if so how much would it cost?

Would they even insure an 18 year old, with only a provisional licence?
    Any help would be appreciated! Cheers:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

seriously? this just a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

rpmcs wrote: »
    seriously? this just a laugh?
    why?:o
    heard of a lad who got it done before??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't find independent insurance for one day. You can *transfer* insurance from another car for a day, but you firstly need to have a policy for that, and you can expect to be hammered in fees for it if its an IS200 and you're transferring off something less powerful.

Also, assuming your brother has it insured himself, you'd have problems - you're not meant to have two policies on the one car.

He could ask his insurers how much it'd cost to add you for one day to his existing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

I very much doubt it.

If you had your own insurance and had a full licence and your brother had his own insurance then i'm sure if you rang up your insurance company and explained to them that it would only be for the day then i'm sure they would cover you.

Seeing as your only 18 and don't have a full licence i would very much doubt you getting insured for the day.

Ya thats what I was thinking...the brother is insured, he's old, and has several years no claims bonus, so I might try getting him to ring them up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

oh it just screams madness to me,
    1, 18 any experience???
    2, hassle of having car to debs? responsibility etc
    3, pressure of class mates egging on etc,
    4 added cost? wouldn't you need full driverv with you?

just off top of head imop

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

Ya but he would get a ride before the stupid meal..

And do it in style..

rpmcs wrote: »
    oh it just screams madness to me,
    1, 18 any experience???
    2, hassle of having car to debs? responsibility etc
    3, pressure of class mates egging on etc,
    4 added cost? wouldn't you need full driverv with you?

just off top of head imop

well, I live in a rural village, only picking up the cuguar, and going to the mass, thats it..no class mates are coming..but I get where your coming from, and im sure insurance company won't give a ****e about my excuses...just a stupid notion..pity:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Most Insurance companies do temp additional drivers where you can get added for a temporary period.

You may run into trouble as you only have a prov licence, but it mite be ok - depends on the insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Any experience of driving a RWD car? If not, forget it boyo. Last thing you want to do is end up crashing your bros car on your debs night.

Get a bus if there is one going, have a few drinks. you'll have much more craic.

• Advertisement

Any experience of driving a RWD car? If not, forget it boyo. Last thing you want to do is end up crashing your bros car on your debs night.

Get a bus if there is one going, have a few drinks. you'll have much more craic.

ya drove it abit...no no, i am goin on the bus, just want to go to the next village and pick up the cuguar! and leave the car back after i pick her!..
    Definitely goin on the bus:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is there no such thing as short term temp insurance in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Haddockman wrote: »
    Is there no such thing as short term temp insurance in this country?

No.

More reason to get the hell out of this backward country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

kennethk wrote: »
    well, I live in a rural village, only picking up the cuguar, and going to the mass, thats it..no class mates are coming..but I get where your coming from, and im sure insurance company won't give a ****e about my excuses...just a stupid notion..pity:mad:

What about the qualfied driver that your Learner Permit, the law and therefore probably every insurance company requires you to have accompany you while you're driving?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I insured a friend of mine on my insurance (I'm on a Learner Permit, with my own comp insurance) for one day for her to sit the test in my car.
    It cost me 30 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

So I take it your date has a qualifying licence to accompany you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

oldyouth wrote: »
    But she'd have to pick him up 'cos he wouldn't be allowed to drive to her place on his own.

well, I live in a rural village, only picking up the cuguar,
    ya drove it abit...no no, i am goin on the bus, just want to go to the next village and pick up the cuguar! and leave the car back after i pick her!..

Are you bring one of your buddies' ole ones or something, how old is the yoke you're bringing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Best bet would be to get yourself added to the policy for the remainder of insurance year. It might cost 1000 to €2000 for a full year. You could always knock yourself off again after a month or so with the total cost of maybe €100 to €150. This will suit perfectly if brother is paying policy in installments as you would only have to come up with the cost of one month & not the entire years cost (to be refunded later)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    No.

So if there isn't such thing as short term insurance, how is anyone from outside Ireland supposed to come here to buy a car for export?

I can't really see any legal way that person could buy a car and drive it home....

The various UK short term insurers would cover a car for export.

oldyouth wrote: »
    yaya..:)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Are you bring one of your buddies' ole ones or something, how old is the yoke you're bringing ?

2005, IS200 sport

They meant the age of your lady friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

More reason to get the hell out of this backward country.

If you're going to drive someone elses car and you don't have your own insurance, get them to add you to the policy for a day etc. No problem there.

If you have your own insurance, get a 'driving other cars' extension. No problem there.

The whole 'get the hell out of this backward country' attitude? Yeah, problem there alright but this ain't the place.

Each country has its own systems and ways of doing things. If you don't like it you've two choices and you know what they are.

In any case, Quinn and Axa will both allow you take a policy if you're buying a car or whatever and you'll have 7/10 days to pay the full premium, or just pay the short term cover they provided.

OP, bus is the smart move for the debs night no matter what the plan might be. Have a chat with your brother/mam/dad about getting your down on one of their policies as a named driver though. The discount you'll earn could help you out once you're ready to hit the road yourself on a more regular basis.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    But she'd have to pick him up 'cos he wouldn't be allowed to drive to her place on his own.

just wondering do ye live in a city? or out rural??
    kinda a secret, but alot of people drive around with only a prov. still..but that wudn't be a problem, have to bring my brother, to the queen's house anyways (her bro and mine are friends)

They meant the age of your lady friend.

haha opps..18
    just cuguar is a word we use..ha

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

Any experience of driving a RWD car? If not, forget it boyo.

Jeez, in 99% of driving a rear wheel drive car (when its powered as averagely as an IS200) its exactly the same as a front wheel drive car. Only when you get to the ragged edge does it matter. And as i imagine his bro will murder him, it wont get near the ragged edge.

He's not getting into an f1 car with the traction control turned off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

just wondering do ye live in a city? or out rural??
    kinda a secret, but alot of people drive around with only a prov. still..

Have you heard of the "if everyone else jumps off a cliff" thing before? Doesn't mean its right. Anything happens and you'll be in a serious amount of shít before even getting your full license.

Advertisement