Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 toll - Northern reg?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if Northern reg cars have to pay the M50 toll?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Anyone know if Northern reg cars have to pay the M50 toll?

Technically yes

Reality, once off no, repeatedly then yes, they track you down through the DVLNI and a UK based company (EPC parking) starts harassing for the fines......(or so I've heard!;))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Hah, they cant even get Irish people to pay it. Never mind chasing down people from other jurisdictions.

They rely on scare tactics by threatening to blacken peoples credit rating.

The good decent people then who pay the €160 fine or whatever it is for two trips through the toll, having forgot to pay the €3 each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Why on earth would they not have to pay it?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Well, your ment to! But why would you, as the Freestate can not fine you! As you are driving a Britsh registered car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

jock101 wrote: »
    Well, your ment to! But why would you, as the Freestate can not fine you! As you are driving a Britsh registered car!
    Why can't they? You're driving on an irish tolled road. If your in the Irish jurisdiction you obey Irish legislation. The cost involved with tracking down non-repeat offenders obviously just outweighs the toll charge lost which is why they chase the Stealthier bigger fry ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

david wrote: »
    Why can't they? You're driving on an irish tolled road. If your in the Irish jurisdiction you obey Irish legislation. The cost involved with tracking down non-repeat offenders obviously just outweighs the toll charge lost which is why they chase the Stealthier bigger fry ;)

If your in the Irish jurisdiction you obey Irish legislation.

Mmm, its a pity the Irish themselves dont follow your logic!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

If the A1 was tolled up north, by the same barrier free method, I'd say a fair few lads would smile and drive on with no thought towards paying the toll....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Either that or toll roads are a scam. One rule for us another for them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If the A1 was tolled up north, by the same barrier free method, I'd say a fair few lads would smile and drive on with no thought towards paying the toll....

I drove through Central London in a CE reg car 5 weeks ago with no intention of paying the fee. Still awaiting a letter. Im not putting to much faith in finding a letter in the post anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Well I don't think I'll risk it, have a hire car from Belfast and don't fancy a mad fine sometime in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Well I don't think I'll risk it, have a hire car from Belfast and don't fancy a mad fine sometime in the future!

+ an administration fee. You're better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

jock101 wrote: »
    as the Freestate can not fine you!

Where? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OK, here's the plan.
    Everyone buy Polish registered cars and let them chase down each and every one of us and stall as long as possible, maybe even start a syndicate to fund the courtcases.
    If we all work together to pervert the system, they would eventually give up.
    Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Technically yes

Reality, once off no, repeatedly then yes, they track you down through the DVLNI and a UK based company (EPC parking) starts harassing for the fines......(or so I've heard!;))
    Not even that crowd can make you pay up. They waste £2.50 finding out the RK details. It is a percentage game. There are enough mugs that will pay up to make it worth their while.

They never take anyone to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

On a hire car it is no contest. Typically the car hire company will have your details, they will pay the fines incurred by theuir vehicles and simply charge your credit card.

If I were the OP I'd also be concerned about the Revenue seizing the vehicle!

Advertisement