Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance company says my car has no NCT

Options
  • 25-07-2010 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Bought a car trying to insure it and several companys refuse to qoute saying i have no NCT. But i have all paperpork (nct cert, test report and garage receipt) It was passed on 08/07/2010 so would it take time to show up on there system? Strugling to get insured because of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Wierd, I've never been asked for an NCT for insurance. In fact, just re-insured my current without one (it's off the road atm).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I would imagine if you took a hard copy of your NCT cert into insurance company that this should suffice. It seems that whatever way it works or doesn't work that their records have not yet being updated despite your car being NCT for over two weeks.

The last time I taxed my car the insurance broker asked me to provide them with a copy of my NCT. Obviously a change must have being made recently whereby the insurance companies are already privy to this information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I was asked to supply my NCT cert when i changed insurance over to my current car a few weeks ago. I assume its just cos the car is 'high risk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You sure they are genuine documents you have with the car? If so just tell the insurers you will bring in the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

dannh wrote: »
    Bought a car trying to insure it and several companys refuse to qoute saying i have no NCT. But i have all paperpork (nct cert, test report and garage receipt) It was passed on 08/07/2010 so would it take time to show up on there system? Strugling to get insured because of it!

How can an insurance company tell if your car is nct'd or not ?. I've never been asked this before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,516 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I've never been asked for nct cert to insure car and i've insured cars out of nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The obviously have access to the NCT databeas as they can now tell if the car has a cert or not quinn certainly can I don't think axa check at the moment. Op are you sure the cert is genuine , I have heard of fake ones being available, not sure if it's true or myth .

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

What insurance company are you with?

Never been asked for a NCT cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Haven't come across this before either. Would be interested to know what insurance company(s). Were you getting a quote online or by phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

some insurance companies are now requesting nct certs for cars 10 years old and over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

My car is 10 years old and i recently just changed to another insurance company. NCT only got renewed 2 weeks ago aswell.

Wasn't asked for prove of NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Never been asked.

Surely just tell them you need insurance to drive to the NCT centre? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

timmywex wrote: »
    Never been asked.

Surely just tell them you need insurance to drive to the NCT centre? :P

That doesnt work unfortunately. Im with Quinn and had to hire a car trailer for mine then it passed the nct first time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

i havnt been asked about the nct, and my car has just gone 10 years old, and i have renewed my insurance in the past week,

i didnt know they had access to this:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭rilly99

the other half has car -1995-not nct for four years has not been asked for same - has not changed ins co in last 9 years only does 3k per year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am with Quinn and I have never been asked for a NCT cert and my car is well over 10 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

dannh wrote: »

Did you do the NCT or did the garage provide the cert for you? If the garage did the NCT you'll need to call/drop down to your nearest NCT centre to verify that the cert is legit.

If it is legit then tell insurance companies you'll send in a copy. If not genuine contact the Gardaí and don't drive the car till you get it fully checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A friend of mine tried to get a new policy from quinn recently and they refused him because the car had no valid NCT. They could tell him this when he gave the reg no.

I dont see anything surprising in this , cant you put in you reg number on their site and the details of the car comes up, why not NCT?

My friend got insured with AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Haddockman wrote: »
    I am with Quinn and I have never been asked for a NCT cert and my car is well over 10 years old.

Be very careful about this everyone. You are obviously ok haddockman because you have an nct but Quinn Direct made it perfectly clear to me that your car will not be insured under their terms of policy if it doesnt have a valid nct. Sometimes they will ask you does it have one, sometimes they dont but just because they dont ask doesnt mean you will be insured.

Advertisement