Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling MYSQL on Ubuntu Linux

Options
  • 25-07-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I recently upgraded my Ubuntu Linus Distro to the latest version (can't remember the exact number)

The MySQL server was working fine until I did this but now the server is down. I tried reinstalling with Synaptic Package Manager which just caused it to hang indefinetly.

Anyone know a brute force way of just totally reinstalling MySQL from scratch because the package manager is giving me problems since the upgrade. Theres also a mounting problem at boot-up time (not sure if this is related) I just press "s" to skip mounting and it boots ok. Im not sure which drive doesn't mount (doesn't say)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Try
    sudo apt-get install mysql-server

Try starting it with
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Try
    sudo apt-get install mysql-server

Try starting it with
    sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start

I don't think that'll work. That will install it if it's never been installed before. I think I just need to completely remove every mySQL file and folder from the system and that's where the problem lies. It hangs indefintly. As far as I know SPM just calls the apt-get program anyway so it will probably hang again.

In that case try
    sudo apt-get --purge mysql-server

or if installed with dkpg
    dpkg --purge mysql-server

You can also sudo apt-get --reinstall ...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

Webmonkey wrote: »
    In that case try
    sudo apt-get --purge mysql-server

I'll try this I think, thanks;)

I had typo there sorry.

Should be
    sudo apt-get --purge remove mysql-server

• Advertisement
Advertisement