Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vehicle Location on Insurance?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

I moved from Cork to Dublin last year.

Now it's time to renew my car insurance and obviously enough the premium has gone up by a good 50€ compared to the one for Cork.

My postal address is still Cork as that's where the family live.

Would it be risky to keep Cork as the car location? If the car was stolen in Dublin does the insurer have grounds to not pay out?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. If the car was stolen from your home or workplace Dublin or you were involved/at fault in an expensive collision the investigators would have good reason to refuse to pay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Read your policy, you'll find you're contractually bound to notify your insurance company of any factors affecting your policy. Moving to a different area can change the risk profile but I doubt the increase, if any, will be much on top of the €50. Best be truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

The risk based on post code thing seems to be utter bullsh*t.
    I've messed around with the quotes and some of the dodgier areas in Dublin are cheaper than where I am, which is a lovely area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your "lovely area" probably has more expensive cars stolen than the dodgy areas or something similar. The area risks are statistics based.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

RichyX wrote: »
    The risk based on post code thing seems to be utter bullsh*t.
    I've messed around with the quotes and some of the dodgier areas in Dublin are cheaper than where I am, which is a lovely area.

Well if I was a car thief I know which area I'd like to work in ;).

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Well if I was a car thief I know which area I'd like to work in ;).

I don't think the thieves have much interest in a 98 Ibiza!
    By lovely I meant a quiet, pleasant spot. There are a couple of Mercs and Audis around, but nothing flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

I moved from Cork to Dublin last year.

Now it's time to renew my car insurance and obviously enough the premium has gone up by a good 50€ compared to the one for Cork.

My postal address is still Cork as that's where the family live.

Would it be risky to keep Cork as the car location? If the car was stolen in Dublin does the insurer have grounds to not pay out?

Rates are based on the address where the car is mostly kept overnight.You should advise the Insurance company or there could be hassle later- in the event of a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭lau1247

your should definitely inform them..

Similar to your situation, when I renewed mine last yr.. asked them about the address issue.. I think the lady told me that it's where you park your car 4 days a week (Or 5 - Can't remember too clearly)..

It might cost a bit more but not worth it if they don't pay out in an accident over such a trivial matter

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't think the thieves have much interest in a 98 Ibiza!
    By lovely I meant a quiet, pleasant spot. There are a couple of Mercs and Audis around, but nothing flash.

Has a 98 Ibiza got a factory fitted immobiliser? The scum who steal cars know which can be hot wired and which have to use keys. They may be more interested then you think.

Increase the value in your quote to €3000, it may go down a bit. Nothing wrong with this as you'll only get book value if you claim

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah now, 50 quid won't kill you for the sake of having correct insurance details.

• Advertisement

Ah now, 50 quid won't kill you for the sake of having correct insurance details.

It won't, but it'd be nice to have another 50 quid in me wallet :)

Cheers for setting me straight lads!

Advertisement