Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to buy sewing machine?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am in Wicklow, and am looking to buy a sewing machine(new) and all I can find is Argos. They do have a good selection, but before I committ, just wondering if there is anywhere else that sells them? And sewing accessories (scissors, thread, pins, elastics etc)

Dont really want to travel past Dublin

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Check out Lidl. In the specials on Thursday 29th, Singer Sewing mahine...

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.20100729.p.Sewing_Machine

also

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20106300.Warehouse_Sales_from_3107

Scroll down to the end of page, Lervia for €29.99

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

don't buy a machine from Lidl! they are nothing but trouble, and it's difficult to get them serviced or to buy replacement parts.

i work in Fabric Gallery in Bray - we're a Singer sewing machine dealer, and we also sell patterns, fabric, needles, threads, etc etc. we can service machines and every new machine comes with a 3 year guarantee. pop in anytime and see us. :)

i just noticed that it's a Singer model Lidl will be selling - i'd still be wary, to be honest. anyone who's ever bought a machine in Lidl has come to us complaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

It is a Singer being sold in Lidl, so I don't know what's to be wary of?

If you do a google search of any of the brands that Lidl see, you will see that some of the sewing machines that have been sold are still going strong and recommended for beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭shellz

well i, for one, would rather spend a little extra on a machine from a recognised Singer distributor than a supermarket whose machines i've heard nothing but complaints about from my customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

I have a Toyota one that was bought from Argos a few years back and has served me well. I also have a Lervia one from Lidl which has also been fine. I wouldnt recommend either for any heavy duty work though. I may have been lucky with the customer service side of things with the Lervia, the week I got it my dog chewed the pedal cable. I contacted the company based in Finglas and they sent one out to me within a few days for €10.
    I'd say if you want a machine that's going to last a long time I'd go for a Singer or Bernina, if you're just starting and not sure how into sewing your going to get, i'd give the lidl one a go. Happy sewing!

• Advertisement

shellz wrote: »
    well i, for one, would rather spend a little extra on a machine from a recognised Singer distributor than a supermarket whose machines i've heard nothing but complaints about from my customers.

But it's a Singer :confused:

I think that's a bit self-serving to be honest

Anyway for anyone interested, I bought the latest one in Lidl, so far so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭time42play

sasser wrote: »
    But it's a Singer :confused:

Just because it says Singer doesn't mean it's the same quality as a more expensive Singer model would be (of course it could be just a particularly good price too).

I have a Bernina. They make entry level machines called Bernette that are cheap but won't do what I need, lots of good machines in the middle range Activa/Aurora (including mine), up to Artistas and the unaffordable 8 series. Brother sells cheaper entry level machines that are fine but not heavy duty (I had one), and they also make high end machines like the Quattro. It's the same for all brands, every sewing machine manufacturer makes a number of machines with different price points and varying quality/durability.

Which machine is right for you depends on your price range and what you plan to use it for, and for casual sewing I've heard a lot of people are very happy with the Lidl/Aldi machines.

Yeah think they are definitely more for beginners like myself, not having to invest huge amounts to get a good machine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The sewing machines ireland shop in Waterford is great. I went in knowing very little as I'd just started taking a sewing class and the guy set me down and went through several machines. Didn't feel pushed to spend any more then I had planned to and got a great Pfaff machine that I just love.

Most of the other folks in the class got their machines from either Argos or Lidil, some had no issues others had nothing but nightmares with them so it seems to be hit and miss as far as they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 autumngirl

I should have read these post before I bought a singer sewing in lidyl 2 years ago. I only opened it last week to discover it wasnt working. Of course I dont have the receipt. I have been told they wont entertain me without a receipt. It says there is a 3 year warranty on it. Any thoughts from anybody or anybody buy this machine and have a similar experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

autumngirl wrote: »
    I should have read these post before I bought a singer sewing in lidyl 2 years ago. I only opened it last week to discover it wasnt working. Of course I dont have the receipt. I have been told they wont entertain me without a receipt. It says there is a 3 year warranty on it. Any thoughts from anybody or anybody buy this machine and have a similar experience.

I've never come across any shop that will entertain a customer without a receipt. But you can always ask anyway. Maybe you have a credit card bill that can prove the purchase. Can't remember if Lidl were accepting credit cards two years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 autumngirl

Lidyl dont even take credit card payments. I think ill just have to put it down to another bad decision and give it to my husband to play with. Thanks for reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

autumngirl wrote: »
    Lidyl dont even take credit card payments. I think ill just have to put it down to another bad decision and give it to my husband to play with. Thanks for reply

Lidl have definitely been taking credit cards for quite a while now,(also Aldi) but not sure if its two years.

Advertisement