Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many choices

Options
  • 25-07-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

I'm finding it hard to choose which sit-on kayak to get for my return to the water. I hope to do some coastal, estuary paddling with my long-legged teenage daughter - she has her father's legs.
    The choice seems to be between the Frenzy, Nomad and the Perception Scooter but all the glossy brochures say much the same thing - great for everything. I'm sure they'd sell as many boats if they were more honest and said 'not suitable for white water' instead of 'good all-rounder'.

If a boat is 'good in surf' I assume it is bad at holding a straight line across a bay. Am I right? If a boat is good for touring I assume it would tear your arms out in white water.

Would anyone care to jump in and advise me? I hope to kit each of us out for under €500 - that is, boat, bouyancy aid, paddle, scupper plugs, backrest.

I used to paddle Canadians but imagine my knees would need to be oiled with WD40 before I could go back to them. A nice easy-paddling sit-on-top seems so sweet.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Personally go with the Perception scooter honest opinion it does everything tracks well. goes good in white water, long distance no worries and is generally class, shielbaggan OEC have some for sale second hand but they arent even a year old perfect nick they have paddles too so that would be a good place to start.

The scooter has me well impressed way better then the others in my opinion, the double ones are real nice too

Cheers
    Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Thanks Paddy. I have a request in to the Shielbaggan people but they may be gone already.
    Both Bantry Bay Canoes and River Deep Mountain High recommend the Nomad. Any thoughts on it? It has an optional skeg which would be good for directional stability.

Yea sounds good what make is the Nomad?
    I know Great Outdoors stock the scooters too so you could see how much they have them for. Or I-canoe have a range of sit on tops.
    Drop down skeg will be handy for the long straight trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I went for the Nomad in the end. Will report back after I've had a paddle. Thanks for advice.

Fair play enjoy your paddling.

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement