Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I apply to my local authority or my VEC?

Options
  • 25-07-2010 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭

I'm going back to college in September to do a postgraduate course. It looks like I should be eligible for a grant and to get my fees paid.

studentfinance.ie has this to say:
    If the grant for your undergraduate education came from the VEC, then your scheme is the Vocational Education Committee Scholarship Scheme and the grant application form is available from your local VEC.

If the grant for your undergraduate education came from the local authority, then your scheme is the Higher Education Grants Scheme and the grant application form is available from your local authority.

I didn't get any grant for my undergrad course which finished 4 years ago when I was a dependent on my parents.

So whom do I apply to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

in case anyone else is in the same boat, the VEC told me to apply to my local authority. I don't have a whole lot of faith that the council won't send me back to the VEC!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Serkunet

Our guidance counsellor said that it would be better to give it to the VEC, rather than the county council. Cause they will just send it to the VEC and that pile will be put at the bottom of the pile that the VEC already have.

Advertisement