Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pokésecrets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jazzkamiden

Wow, I never knew any of those. Nice one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The Venonat/Butterfree thing is cool! Almost everything else seems a bit contrived to me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I dont see the medapod/venomoth one. Butterfree/venonat is very alike though, but id put that down to the artist rather than any change in design during development.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

Wow, I never noticed those Pulseman references, that's really cool!

Here's one more that wasn't mentioned there; it's possible that Garchomp was originally designed as the final evolved form of Sharpedo and Carvanha's family. It does make a lot of sense, all three Pokémon's designs feature a number of similarities! Garchomp and Carvanha share the same colour scheme, Sharpedo and Garchomp have very similar mouths, they all have sunken glowing eyes and most strikingly - they each have a yellow, cross-shaped scar on their bodies. So here's what the evolutionary line might have looked like:
    160px-318Carvanha.png 180px-319Sharpedo.png 200px-445Garchomp.png

The similarities are there, but why would they decide to give Garchomp a separate family? It might have been that he was originally too strong. Garchomp would have been ridiculously powerful if they built his stats around Sharpedo, who already has formidable attacking stats. Also, if they kept it as a Water/Dark Pokémon it would have resisted too many types and have been an even greater competitive menace than it already is. Maybe they kept the design, created some pre-evolved forms and turned it into a completely distinct Pokémon with a huge weakness to Ice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Another one that never made sense:
    Slowpoke=
    slowpoke_17224180.gif
    + Shellder
    shellder.gif
    =SlowBro
    slowbro.gif

sorry,but WHAT?Shellder evolves if anything,slowpoke just stands up.Why does it only count as one pokémon if it's two together?Would it be a different evolution if something else bit Slowpoke's tail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

Ledian is also said to look lke Pulseman and there is an enemy in it that looks really like Xatu in level 2.

I think I read somewhere (no link) that they were originally going to have Metapod -> Venomoth until they realised that a Butterfly is a better metaphor to explain evolution early on so they switched them.

Garchomp seems quite plausible as a leftover design from Ruby/Sapphire, I never noticed that before but I like it.

I wish they would give Slowpoke/Shellder a Mantyke/Remoraid style evolution or else stop saying it's a Shellder because it doesn't like anything like one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I'm not one to look deeply into pokemon (or most games) but I found that link quite amusing... and I like finding out that the game areas were based around actual existing places...I never noticed that, but it's cool.

Also, I'm with the others on the slowpoke/shellder evolution. I never got it...how does a clamp twirl it's shell Oo. *meh* ...best not to question it, I guess XD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's fairly straight forward. A clamperl's shell is an accumulation of a lifetime of hardened secretions. Underwater it aligns itself with currents to funnel food into it's gob, resulting in the front to back ridges. On a Slowpoke's tail it's in the open air so there's nothing to maintain or encourage those grooves. Over time as it slides further down the tail the shell builds into the more conical appearance you see on the average Slowbro. And the spikes are there 'cause they look boss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DeaPGalaxy

Also Hitmonchan = Jackie Chan and Hitmonlee = Bruce Lee. Not sure how well known that is but I thought I'd point it out :B

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Not to mention Hitmontop = Michael Dudikof. Fact!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

So who's Tyrogue based on? :)

Have you ever noticed that Huntail's tail looks like Gorebyss's head and vice versa, sort of?

The last one is pants. Obviously cubone and kangaskhan had the same designer.
    After all, when you encounter the ghost of cubone's mother, it's a marowak that shows up =/

Advertisement