Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Room for Graduate Student

Options
  • 24-07-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

I am just trying to get an idea of the differences of cost between a Standard room or a Modern room. I will be a graduate student so I am not even sure if grad students can have standard rooms; if so, what is the difference between a standard room and a modern room?

Primarily, I was looking at the Graduate Memorial Building and the room setup. Here, you have your own private bath room, right? Standard rooms are shared bedrooms with shared bath?

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

I can't comment on the difference in price, since I've no idea about that, but I'd definitely recommend applying for a modern room.

The difference between modern and standard rooms seems to be whether they've been renovated in recent years or not, so the "modern" rooms are far more comfortable. They renovated half of New Square in the last year, and those apartments look really nice, but the other half aren't great, and the Rubrics is definitely in need of a renovation.

The GMB would be an excellent place to get, and yes they do all have ensuite bathrooms there, but you don't actually get to choose your room, just whether you want standard or modern. I should also point out that some of the modern rooms have shared bathrooms too, but I think you can try to specify single ensuite on the form to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Thanks for the reply!

One question for clarification, when you say that you don't choose your room, do you mean that I don't get to choose which building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

You get to choose type of room (or at least state a preference for a type of room) but not which building. e.g. 'standard room' covers both the GMB and Pearse St, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭antiselfdual

There's not a choice between "Standard" or "Modern" at the moment, you can choose between "Campus" or "Goldsmith" and then select from a list of different room types (for instance "Apartment double" and "Double flat") which aren't properly explained anywhere on the site... You're best off asking the Accommodation Office what you should put down to get a particular room/building. Their answer will be probably accurate...

There's not a choice between "Standard" or "Modern" at the moment, you can choose between "Campus" or "Goldsmith" and then select from a list of different room types (for instance "Apartment double" and "Double flat") which aren't properly explained anywhere on the site... You're best off asking the Accommodation Office what you should put down to get a particular room/building. Their answer will be probably accurate...

Do you mean that it isn't as simple as standard or modern or do you mean that one of the options is no longer available?

Thanks again for the responses. I am going to call tomorrow morning but it's difficult with the 8 hour time difference.

• Advertisement

When I log in to the online student application I get the following:

A choice of location between on campus, Goldsmith (student flats next to campus), and Trinity Hall (for 1st and 2nd year undergrads)

If I choose campus I get offered about 10 room types involving various combinations of the words apartment, single, flat, ensuite, double, twin. For Goldsmith the choice is between Apartment Single and Single Flat. Neither of the words "Standard" or "Modern" appear anywhere, and matching up the room types with those described on the site is a fun game involving guessing...

(Note this is the undergrad application, I'm presuming it's the same for postgrads, but maybe it's not? The choice used to literally be just between "Standard" and "Modern.")

I was told to expect my further details in the mail next week.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between an apartment and a flat? I had previously thought that apartments were the same as flats, just the difference in locale (US = apartments, Europe = flats).

Yeah that confuses me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I was told to expect my further details in the mail next week.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the difference between an apartment and a flat? I had previously thought that apartments were the same as flats, just the difference in locale (US = apartments, Europe = flats).
    Yeah that confuses me too...

Well speaking as a former town planner turned environmental scientist, there is absolutely no difference between "apartment" and "flat", it's a social pecking order thing. Flats tend to be associated (wrongly) with social housing whereas an "apartment" was a form of private housing. It's the equivalent of saying "red sauce" and "tomato ketchup".

And in the context of Goldsmith Hall this means...?

• Advertisement

Ahh... I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

And in the context of Goldsmith Hall this means...?

It means... fuck all.

It's just a contrived name like; "Buttercup", "Marigold", "Primrose Grove", "Snowdrop Walk" and "Tulip Court". In case you're wondering, these are some of the estates that make up Darndale.

Advertisement