Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Sedona Crewcab 2.9

Options
  • 24-07-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I am thinking the likes of this

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1437548

I drive a van all day all week, looking for a weekend car.

Insurance is ok and the commercial tax helps it make a lot of sense.
    Prices are pretty good.

What am I missing?
    I know they are a big bus and the mpg won't be great otherwise decent big car with a big boot that you won't worry what you throw in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Have it fully checked out, especially the gearbox and all associated parts. If all OK, it looks an OK deal. I presume the price is negotiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

looking for a weekend car.

Insurance is ok and the commercial tax helps it make a lot of sense.

Are you gonna use it for your company only? If not, you could get into hot water if stopped and you can't explain why you're driving a commercial vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Realistically purely for social use.

Only considering it at all because of the punative tax in this coountry.
    I will most likely use the car very little.

No shortage of people running around in car vans and double cabs that never use them for work.

I could easily throw a tool bag in the back.
    I do 24 hour on call for work so could claim that if I meet a check point.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

unkel wrote: »
    Are you gonna use it for your company only? If not, you could get into hot water if stopped and you can't explain why you're driving a commercial vehicle.
    If its insured and taxed correctly are you breaking some law? I know a couple of accountants that drive commercials purely because they don't pay BIK/ or reduced BIK I'm guessing they know their stuff and it's above board?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Realistically purely for social use.

Only considering it at all because of the punative tax in this coountry.
    I will most likely use the car very little.

No shortage of people running around in car vans and double cabs that never use them for work.

I could easily throw a tool bag in the back.
    I do 24 hour on call for work so could claim that if I meet a check point.

I agree the motor tax is punitive and pretty ridiculous for people doing low mileage :(

I'm not promoting anyone to evade taxes but I guess you'd probably get away with it with your tool bag and the nature of your work.
    n0brain3r wrote: »
    If its insured and taxed correctly are you breaking some law?

It's not insured and taxed correctly if the car is for personal use ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

That's a good point Unkel, I guess it's something that would be very difficult to prove. Any time I've been stopped at a customs checkpoint(3 or 4 times in a commercial landcruiser) they're more concerned that I've no seats in the back and that the diesel is white! I've never been asked what my occupation is or if I'm working. I suppose if there was an accident the insurance co might look more into it.
    OP that looks like a great motor if you have genuine use for a commercial during the week I wouldn't worry for all anyone knows the weekend is your personal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I took one for a test drive once and found it to be a very spongey, wallowy old bus. A very disconnected drive, feels like you're at the rudder rather than the steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Thanks for all opinions.

I suppose it could work for maye 2 years, could be handy to have a big bus that would fit the kitchen sink in the back too.

By then the post 08 low tax cars should be starting to get reasonable enough to sit doing very little mileage.

I suspected as much about big wallowy, but it still has to be better than the company transit.

Also as long as nothing major goes wrong I shouldn't loose too much on it over the 2 years.

Time to ring the insurance company's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Aren't they known for gearbox problems? Drove one for a weekend rental and you basically get what you pay for. Nothing good bar the space. Would a converted transporter not be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know the Hyundai terracan has issues with the fuel pump disintegration wrecking the engine.
    These share an engine, id check they don't share this problem before buying.

• Advertisement
Advertisement