Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some moths to ID

Options
  • 24-07-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi!
    The moths? in the first pic were seen along the bank of a river there were hundreds of them resting in the grass and bracken. Some of them were landing on the water ant the trout were feeding on them. As a flyfisher i would like to know what is the proper name for them please.
    P7240019.jpg
    P7240011.jpg

The moth in the second pics was at rest in the grass it was about 40-45mm long.
    P7240054.jpg
    P7240049.jpg

Thank you.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The little moth is a micro species and has no common English name.
    It is Agriphila straminella. It is abundant in grassland at moment, as is the 2nd moth, Large Yellow Underwing, though not a daytime species it is easy to disturb from grassland.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

Thanks Mothman. I was very interested when i seen that trout were readily taking the moth when it landed on the water. Must make up an imitation to try out next time i see them in big numbers.
    wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I seeing loads of thos micro moths over the last couple of weeks in grassland.

In fact I was trying to get a right look at them today, it was difficult because as soon as they land the wings are folded up so you cant really have a right look at them.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'm glad you posted those wgsten. they're all over the place at the minute and I was trying to get some pics but they're so small and they skinny themselves up so much when they land that my camera can't focus on them. You got some great pics there.

Advertisement