Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why in-running can damage your wealth

Options
  • 24-07-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

Came across the article while I was searching for Frankie's mystery winner yesterday. Won easily and yet traded at 54/1 in running while the 2nd horse traded 1/100.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭Juwwi

l think u should change the title to health from wealth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

robbie1977 wrote: »
    l think u should change the title to health from wealth
    Yeah I know what you mean. Dodgy as.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

usually when the bookie has such and such as a favourite punters bet on that even though they may not be the favourite if ya know what i mean,they're trusting the bookie
    am i talking sh!te?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

FYI below that article, it was the Gold Cup awarded in 1988 to Charter Party that was stolen (from owner Raymond Mould)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I remember there a few months ago Golden Silver was running,think it may have been the Punchestown festival. A horse in similar colours fell and Des Cahill called him the faller,and he was then backed at 999/1 on betfair. Typical he came up and won then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

greetings wrote: »
    I remember there a few months ago Golden Silver was running,think it may have been the Punchestown festival. A horse in similar colours fell and Des Cahill called him the faller,and he was then backed at 999/1 on betfair. Typical he came up and won then.
    i was about to post that myself,not like Des to make a bollix of it:rolleyes:,i think he's a joke,he gets it wrong more times than any other commentator,then again i wonder does the cute little c... do it on purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

heavyballs wrote: »
    i was about to post that myself,not like Des to make a bollix of it:rolleyes:,i think he's a joke,he gets it wrong more times than any other commentator,then again i wonder does the cute little c... do it on purpose?

Ah well I was happy,I had it backed and was watching him. I was totally bemused when he said he had fallen,I was standing watching it running :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

greetings wrote: »
    Ah well I was happy,I had it backed and was watching him. I was totally bemused when he said he had fallen,I was standing watching it running :pac:

That's the key isn't it, watch your own horse. Lads getting burned on betfair are putting their money at risk by taking the word of a guy who's called the wrong horse any amount of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Rockard

anyone posting here bet in-running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I came a split second recently to winning €58,000 on Betfair.

Tried to get odds on a Fallon horse that was battling a half a furlong on but couldn't get on, so changed the odds and was just about to go in again but just canceled the bet when he odds went to 500/1 and I breathed a sigh of relief that I got out in time (sometimes I haven't :o).

I refreshed, it said 1000/1 :eek:

Fallon fought back and won.

Some lucky sod /sods got on €58 at 1000/1 :(

Can you imagine the feeling of wining that much, especially when you know it was just people laying at massive odds to clean up any unmatched bets.

What I don't understand is why someone would offer odds like that, surely Betfair's cut would use up their profits, even if they were on just a 2% mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Kod-box

Betfairs cut would be 2% of what they profited though, so it wouldnt use up their profits, still dont understand it myself though, unless you have hundreds of thousands to play with, and if you did you'd have to ask why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Kod-box wrote: »
    Betfairs cut would be 2% of what they profited though, so it wouldnt use up their profits, still dont understand it myself though, unless you have hundreds of thousands to play with, and if you did you'd have to ask why bother?

I think that the vast majority of 999/1 lays are put in by traders mopping up when the race is over or when a horse has fallen. It would be interesting to find out how many of the horses layed at 1000 have won and how many there have been.

Advertisement