Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Winter Tyres/Snow Chains and so forth...yes I know its out of season

Options
  • 24-07-2010 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

Yes it is mid summer - thou one would be forgiven for becoming confused lately.

But I have been thinking of picking up some winter tyres or snow chains out of season since last winter they were friggin impossible to be got for love nor money and I quite wanted a set. Also I reckon this winter might very well be similarly cold.

But - there is quite a selection to choose from. Winter tyres, snow socks, simple chains, self-tightening chains, different designs, different makes etc etc etc. Anyhow its a bit bewildering. And also easy to spend a load of money on something that might be shit. For example I was looking at this website: http://www.snowchains.co.uk/ but find all the many options diverse and confusing.

Anyhow. I was wondering - what are peoples experiences? Which type are good or bad? Which makes are good or bad? Tyres v chains v socks? Etc etc. Etc. Debate. Etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Don't buy chains unless you need some serious traction (really steep hills etc). They really limit your speed and can do plenty of damage if not fitted correctly. Winter tyres are your best bet imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I think the limit you can drive with snow chains is around 30mph and we don't get much snow in Ireland so wouldn't say it would be worth it. Winter tyres might help though and if i see any forecast for a bad winter this year, i might invest in them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Confab wrote: »
    Don't buy chains unless you need some serious traction (really steep hills etc). They really limit your speed and can do plenty of damage if not fitted correctly. Winter tyres are your best bet imo.

If it snows like that again I want to be able to go mountains etc. Tried this winter gone but just could not get up the hills for lack of traction.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I think the limit you can drive with snow chains is around 30mph and we don't get much snow in Ireland so wouldn't say it would be worth it. Winter tyres might help though and if i see any forecast for a bad winter this year, i might invest in them myself.

Well see my problem with winter tyres is the financial outlay. Also its not just the tyres you kinda need to buy rims also do you not ? Your talking big bucks as far as I can see. Plus you need somewhere to put them out of season. You can pick up a set of chains for 30EUR and they are small to pack away. But I don't know are they shlt or which kind are best etc.

I don't think the speed concerns me too much since I probably wouldn't use them on the flat since snow/ice driving is just plain fun, but would crack em out for heading up the hills. This is my thinking. But then maybe the winter tyres are better for grip in the rain, muddy roads etc too and would still get me up snowy hills.

I am betwixt and between and not wanting to blow too much cash and just generally curious what other people's solutions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Here in Finland we use studded winter tyres for 4 or 5 months of the year. Nobody would ever dream of using chains. Hills are never a problem.

• Advertisement

Well I'm changing so I don't know just yet what I will have come the winter.

Edit: OK what happened there ? Someone's post dissappeared !? Anyhow this was in response to someone asking me what car I have.

deman wrote: »
    Here in Finland we use studded winter tyres for 4 or 5 months of the year. Nobody would ever dream of using chains. Hills are never a problem.

How much do they cost ? Need rims too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well I'm changing so I don't know just yet what I will have come the winter.

Edit: OK what happened there ? Someone's post dissappeared !? Anyhow this was in response to someone asking me what car I have.

Yepp that was me ...still chewing on what I actually wanted to say.:D

Myself, I'm kind of half thinking about buying winter tyres once the next set is due and drive them all year round. Pick some that are also reasonably good in the wet and I'm thinking I couln't go far wrong in Ireland ...save myself the hassle and expense of two sets of wheels/tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I have winter tyres on my car. Its just a 2 wheel drive ford focus but they were great during the snow last year. I was up the wicklow mountains a few times with them too. They worked quite well on the powdery fresh snow, but they werent great on ice or very compact snow, But still a lot better than normal tyres!
    I noticed a few people living in glencree had snow chains. They had what seemed like full traction on the icy snow.

Yes see I think I'm leaning towards snow chains mainly because it would be cheaper than set of tyres and I can just pop em on when needed.

Does anyone know which makes and types are good/bad/indifferent. I mean on that website that are a bunch of options of varying prices ranging from cheap to expensive. Anyone tried any of them ?
    I have winter tyres on my car. Its just a 2 wheel drive ford focus but they were great during the snow last year. I was up the wicklow mountains a few times with them too. They worked quite well on the powdery fresh snow, but they werent great on ice or very compact snow, But still a lot better than normal tyres!
    I noticed a few people living in glencree had snow chains. They had what seemed like full traction on the icy snow.

And how are they at this time of year ? Affect your fuel consumption or anything ? Woudn't you have less traction on dry warm tarmac than a summer tyre ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

And how are they at this time of year ? Affect your fuel consumption or anything ? Woudn't you have less traction on dry warm tarmac than a summer tyre ?

They seem fine at this time of year, they arent wearing very fast either. I have them 2 years now, they came on the car when I got it 2nd hand.
    I have noticed that they seem to give worse traction than normal tyres on wet days when turning, but seem fine on dry roads.
    The groove on them is supposed to be good in mud too so they cover a few different surface types.
    Ive heard they wear faster than normal tyres but i cant say ive noticed them wearing fast at all.

Chains would prob be the best option if your just taking a trip up the mountains, plus the extra traction they have.

• Advertisement

Here us yet another option:

http://www.spikes-spider.ch/en

How much do they cost ? Need rims too ?

You would need the rims too. Cars sold here usually come with a second set of wheels so I've never had to buy the rims themselves.

The tyres themselves depend, of course, on the size. What size do you need?

You would need the rims too. Cars sold here usually come with a second set of wheels so I've never had to buy the rims themselves.

The tyres themselves depend, of course, on the size. What size do you need?

Dunno yet. Will have changed car by then to i don't know what just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Winter tyres is something almost unknows in Ireland. First interest in it rise after this winter ;)

F.E. in Poland, most drivers would have 2 sets of tyres. Normal summer tyres and winter tyres. You woulndn't need another set of rims, but that would be handy.
    If you have it, you can just change all 4 wheels yourself using a car jack.
    If you don't have another set of rims, you have to go to the garage to swap tyres over your rims. I found last winter, that garages are not used to do such a service, and because of it it's dificult to get good price. Worst I was quoted was 80 euros just to change winter tyres for summer ones. Most radiculous is that it's just to take tyre of the rim, put new one, and balance it. The same garage charges 10 euros for fixing puntucre, and during this they have to do the same. Why then 20 euros for swapping tyres?
    Anyway after good shopping around I found garage to swap my tyres for 30 euros.
    That's not too bad price, considering you would have to do it twice a year.

Now about winter tyres.
    They are great on snow or mud. But not as good on ice. That might be a problem, because in Ireland you get icy roads much more often then snow. Studded tyres are illegal in Ireland as far as I know.

Chains is something you would like to use only in emergency while travelling in real steep hills. Otherwise I wouldn't put them on, becasue driving with them is very annoying. Also to put a set of chains, you need at least 10 minutes if you are well practiced. If not, it might take half an hour or more. Of course you can get more expensive set which is easier to put on, but is it worth it? Also you can't drive with chaing on tarmac, so whenever the surface will change, you would have to take them off. I just couldn't imagine driving with chain in a city or a town. They have use in some Alpine roads mostly.

What i can advice is a set of winter tyres and few hours of practice of driving on snow and ice. The best would be to find a big field or empty parking covered in snow, and train accelerating, braking, turning, skidding, etc for good few hours, maybe couple of times. After this you should feel comfortable enought to drive on most snowy and icy roads with no problem.

Dunno yet. Will have changed car by then to i don't know what just yet

Let's say then, for new 195/65/15, you'd be chatting about 100-140 Euros per tyre (without rims). Pricey I know but it's law here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Heres my car with winters on, wouldn't use chains at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Let's say then, for new 195/65/15, you'd be chatting about 100-140 Euros per tyre (without rims). Pricey I know but it's law here.

Last november I got a set of winter tyres (Nokian - in my opinion very good brand) in size 205/55/R16 for 45 euros each.
    They were half priced, because I suppose garage ordered them a year age and no one bought them. So they are produced in second part of 2008, and i bought them in November 2009 for 180euros for a set.

So if you do good shop around, you probably can find something at good price.

CiniO wrote: »
    Last november I got a set of winter tyres (Nokian - in my opinion very good brand) in size 205/55/R16 for 45 euros each.

A very good brand indeed. It's what I have too.

You can be lucky to find year old new tyres, just that I'm not. :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I started a thead on this during the bad snow, I live up in the hills and it was a pain in the arse getting to or from home for about 2 and half months last winter. I priced around for winter tyres (215/45-17 or similar) and the cheapest i could get were €130 a corner. So i bought a 4x4 freelander for €500:D
    Its due for the NCT on friday, if it passes it'll be the best €500 i ever spent, i'm even thinking of selling my own car and driving it all the time. An extreme example, but a good option if you can make use of a mini-jeep all year round.

Advertisement