Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5's

Options
  • 24-07-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

It is always easy I guess to pick the Top 5 prior to the pre-season games and inevitably someone, who no-one mentions, burns brightly throughout the season. Miles Austin did it last year. But what do you think? Can anyone knock Manning or big Andre Johnson off the top spots?

Top 5 Quarterbacks
    1. Peyton Manning
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Phillip Rivers
    4. Aaron Rodgers
    5. Donovan McNabb

Honourable Mentions
    Romo, Favre

Top 5 RB's
    1. Chris Johnson
    2. Adrian Peterson
    3. Maurice Jones Drew
    4. Ray Rice (Going to have a great year)
    5. DeAngelo Williams

Honourable Mentions
    Gore, Turner

Top 5 Wide Outs
    1. A. Johnson
    2. B. Marshall
    3. Fitzgerald
    4. Austin
    5. Boldin

Honourable Mentions
    Moss, C Johnson

Top 5 Tight Ends
    1. Witten
    2.Clark
    3. Gates
    4. Gonzalez
    5. V. Davis

Honourable Mentions
    J. Finley, Olsen (Martz will make him the No1 option until the Oline gets sorted)

Top 5 Defense
    1. Jets
    2. Ravens
    3. Vikings
    4. 49er's
    5. Steelers

Honourable Mentions
    Dolphins, Colts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

No love for Brady? I think he's at least one of the top 7 QB's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

The Munky wrote: »
    Olsen (Martz will make him the No1 option until the Oline gets sorted)

Really? I would have thought Martz was well known for his poor use of TEs.

If we're talking about how we think they'll rank in fantasy terms next year as an indicator of how they will perform (rather than pure ability) I'd go for the following:

QB
    1. Aaron Rodgers
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Peyton Manning
    4. Tony Romo
    5. Philip Rivers

RB
    1. Adrian Peterson
    2. Maurice Jones-Drew
    3. Ray Rice
    4. Chris Johnson
    5. Frank Gore

WR
    1. Andre Johnson
    2. Miles Austin
    3. Greg Jennings
    4. Calvin Johnson
    5. Randy Moss

TE
    1. Dallas Clark
    2. Antonio Gates
    3. JerMichael Finley
    4. Brent Celek
    5. Vernon Davis

D
    1. Jets
    2. Eagles
    3. Packers
    4. Cowboys
    5. Ravens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Wait is this Top 5 in the NFL or Top 5 Fantasy Wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well if its real life then there are three top quarterbacks and in alphabetical order they are Brady, Brees and Manning.

Then there is a gap to a group which contains in alphabetical order Favre, McNabb, Rivers, Rodgers and Roethlisberger.

I notice that Wes Welker doesn't get a mention among the wide recievers despite being the most prolific catcher of the ball over the last couple of seasons.

Witten is the best all around tight end, receiving wise Clark is pretty awesome but he doesn't do much work on the line as he spends a lot of time lined up as a H-back.

As far as defense goes, the Jets were really good last year but I'd say given the youth of the Packers D with Clay Matthews, BJ Raji and last years draft steal Brad Jones(Round 7 pick 218:eek:) that they will improve again this year. I think they will be no.1 for a couple of years. The Steelers had their usual poor year after a Superbowl and I'd expect them to step up and attempt to reclaim their position as the no.1 D too.

Actually if we did it fantasy wise, everyone could pick their top 5 or top 10, then we take the average position and come up with our own Boards AF Power Rankings :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

I see nobody's ranking kickers :P

f1dan wrote: »
    I see nobody's ranking kickers :P

1. Stephen Gostkowski
    2. The rest

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well if its real life then there are three top quarterbacks and in alphabetical order they are Brady, Brees and Manning.

Then there is a gap to a group which contains in alphabetical order Favre, McNabb, Rivers, Rodgers and Roethlisberger.

I notice that Wes Welker doesn't get a mention among the wide recievers despite being the most prolific catcher of the ball over the last couple of seasons.

Witten is the best all around tight end, receiving wise Clark is pretty awesome but he doesn't do much work on the line as he spends a lot of time lined up as a H-back.

As far as defense goes, the Jets were really good last year but I'd say given the youth of the Packers D with Clay Matthews, BJ Raji and last years draft steal Brad Jones(Round 7 pick 218:eek:) that they will improve again this year. I think they will be no.1 for a couple of years. The Steelers had their usual poor year after a Superbowl and I'd expect them to step up and attempt to reclaim their position as the no.1 D too.

Good post.

I'm interested though in how the Packers D gets on with Al Harris coming back at CB after an injury seemingly delayed. They will hope that Charles Woodson continues to be one of the best corners around. They got gutted against the Cardinals last year and I expect Capers to really look at stopping the effective passing offences. With Farve and an improved Mike Martz Bears offence they will need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

The Munky wrote: »

Top 5 Tight Ends
    1. Witten
    2.Clark
    3. Gates
    4. Gonzalez
    5. V. Davis

Honourable Mentions
    J. Finley, Olsen (Martz will make him the No1 option until the Oline gets sorted)

I think Zach Miller has a chance of being among the top five, he was 8th among TEs in receiving yards last season(just 62yds behind Tony Gonzalez) and with the addition of Jason Campbell at QB, his stats should improve further this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

Archimedes wrote: »
    1. Stephen Gostkowski
    2. The rest

;)

BULLSH!T of the highest order!

Best Kickers in the league would be in Alphabetical Order
    David Akers
    Rob Bironas
    Mason Crosby
    Jay Feely
    Stephen Gostkowski
    Robbie Gould
    Garreth Hartley
    Sebastian Janikowski
    Nate Keading
    Adam Vinatieri

I'd probably rank them:
    1. Nate Keading
    2. Robbie Gould
    3. Mason Crosby
    4. Stephen Gostkowski
    5. Adam Vinatieri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

No Shiancoe in the TE rankings? Come on....

11 td's in only 56 receptions last year.

Favre will make him the number 1 tight end in the league this year.

Dallas Clark would be my number 1 from last year, 100 receptions for a tight end is just pure awesome... and that guy can all out play ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

QB
    1. Aaron Rodgers
    More hype! You listen to Adam Schein?

Rodgers is clearly a class act, but nowhere near the elite. Let's reel it in here -- he had a great season, but it's just one season. He's not anywhere near Brady or Manning yet. It's exactly like putting him ahead of Elway and Montana ... after TWO seasons! C'mon, some reality?

davyjose wrote:
    More hype! You listen to Adam Schein?

Rodgers is clearly a class act, but nowhere near the elite. Let's reel it in here -- he had a great season, but it's just one season. He's not anywhere near Brady or Manning yet. It's exactly like putting him ahead of Elway and Montana ... after TWO seasons! C'mon, some reality?
    If we're talking about how we think they'll rank in fantasy terms next year as an indicator of how they will perform (rather than pure ability) I'd go for the following...

Calm down there davy ;)

Calm down there davy ;)

Ahh, I see!

Fair point. I don't think we'll see the same QB rating, but the numbers will be high, and the playoffs a probability. Sorry man.

See I asked earlier in this thread did the OP mean Top 5 players or Top 5 players in Fantasy scoring.

I hope he meant Top 5 Fantasy wise biggest if not I totally disagree with a lot of his choices being in the Top 5. Brady not in the top 5 QBs is one.

See I asked earlier in this thread did the OP mean Top 5 players or Top 5 players in Fantasy scoring.

I hope he meant Top 5 Fantasy wise biggest if not I totally disagree with a lot of his choices being in the Top 5. Brady not in the top 5 QBs is one.

I think he meant Top 5 ability wise (despite the fact I turned it into a Fantasy wise discussion). That's the only possible explanation for having Marshall and Fitzgerald in his top 3 receivers imo. And to rank McNabb, Romo and Rivers above Brady is mental at best.

I think he meant Top 5 ability wise (despite the fact I turned it into a Fantasy wise discussion). That's the only possible explanation for having Marshall and Fitzgerald in his top 3 receivers imo. And to rank McNabb, Romo and Rivers above Brady is mental at best.

Top 3 without a shadow of a doubt and in no order by ability are Manning/Brady/Brees and then the rest. After last season in my opinion Brees has put himself up there with Manning and Brady.

I would love to here The Munky's reason for not having Brady in his Top 5 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Top 5 Quarterbacks
    1. Peyton Manning
    2. Drew Brees
    3. Phillip Rivers
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Donovan McNabb

Top 5 RB's
    1. Chris Johnson
    2. Adrian Peterson
    3. Maurice Jones Drew
    4. Deangelo Williams
    5. Michael Turner

Top 5 Wide Outs
    1. A. Johnson
    2. L.Fitzgerald
    3. V.Jackson
    4. W.Welker
    5. Boldin

Top 5 Tight Ends
    1. T.Gonzalez
    2. A.Gates
    3. D.Clark
    4. J.Witten
    5. V. Davis

Top 5 Defense
    1. Ravens
    2. Steelers
    3. Jets
    4. Vikings
    5. Colts

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

davyjose wrote: »
    Ahh, I see!

Fair point. I don't think we'll see the same QB rating, but the numbers will be high, and the playoffs a probability. Sorry man.

Rodgers is on his way to becoming the NFL career leader in passer rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Rodgers is on his way to becoming the NFL career leader in passer rating.
    As long as he has a top OL like he has now. I was just talking about him the other night, he was the most sacked QB along with Roethlisberger last year. Now we know that the Steelers don't have the greatest line but Big Ben is responsible for a few sacks himself. In the case of Rodgers though he is responsible for an awful lot of his own sacks. I said this last year too but if he doesn't learn to throw the ball away more then he is not going to have a long career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Top 5 QB's
    1. Aaron Rodgers
    2. Peyton Manning
    3. Drew Brees
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Eli Manning

Top 5 RB's
    1. AP
    2. Chris Johnson
    3. Maurice Jones-Drew
    4. Ray Rice
    5. Rashard Mendenhall

Top 5 WR's
    1. Andre Johnson
    2. Larry Fitzgerald
    3. Brandon Marshall
    4. Calvin Johnson
    5. De Sean Jackson

Gotta say, Rodgers has been insanely good this preseason, and the media have let us know all about it.

What hasn't been mentioned though, is that Brady has been better. If Rodgers doesn't become a legend of the game, i'll be surprised, but right now(as a colts fan) only 2 QB's terrify me ... and both their surnames start with "B".

Advertisement