Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Negative vrs Raw

Options
  • 24-07-2010 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I'm totally confused as to what to do:

Lightroom recommends converting images to DNG format, rather than deal with Raw Files, claiming that DNG are a more universally accepted format, and, DNG doesn't have the sidecar edit files that raw does.
    My question is:
    Will I loose any pic quality if I choose to work in DNG? Or does it really matter?
    Anybody any ideas/been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

DNG is an attempt at a universal digital negative standard. It's supported natively by a number of camera manufacturers, but I don't think Canon or Nikon support it directly, hence the need for conversion in LR. There is no difference in quality between DNG and RAW. The main difference is that the changes you make to an image in Lightroom are stored *in* the DNG file, rather than in sidecar files, or in a database. With RAW, it's easy to accidentally delete the file or database containing the adjustments, or move the RAW file and lose the association with the database or sidecar files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭torrentum

DNG is an attempt at a universal digital negative standard. It's supported natively by a number of camera manufacturers, but I don't think Canon or Nikon support it directly, hence the need for conversion in LR. There is no difference in quality between DNG and RAW. The main difference is that the changes you make to an image in Lightroom are stored *in* the DNG file, rather than in sidecar files, or in a database. With RAW, it's easy to accidentally delete the file or database containing the adjustments, or move the RAW file and lose the association with the database or sidecar files.

Thanks!!

Advertisement