Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldman Sachs sell 44% of its BP shares, days before the oil spill

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Heyward sold a month before the accident. The article is about the amount he made in comparison to if he had left it till later.

I have no idea about Goldman Sachs but, like Heyward, they did not sell all their stock. It is more than likely entirely coincidental.

Edit: Actually, according to the original article, what Goldman Sachs did was compeltely normal.
    he sale and its size itself isn't unusual for a large asset management firm. Wall Street brokerages routinely buy and sell huge blocks of shares for themselves and their clients. In light of a recent SEC lawsuit arguing that Goldman kept information about a product they sold from their clients, however, the stock sale may raise fresh concern among Goldman's critics.

Other asset management firms also sold huge blocks of BP stock in the first quarter -- but their sales were a fraction of Goldman's. Wachovia, which is owned by Wells Fargo, sold 2,667,419 shares; UBS, the Swiss bank, sold 2,125,566 shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Reports from engineers on an imminent failure and spill? The share price would have dropped for even a minor spill, buy back just before you are informed the fix would happen and values go up.

This is less a conspiracy and more likely insider trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

This is less a conspiracy and more likely insider trading.

Isn't insider trading a conspiracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

reprazant wrote: »
    Heyward sold a month before the accident. The article is about the amount he made in comparison to if he had left it till later.

I have no idea about Goldman Sachs but, like Heyward, they did not sell all their stock. It is more than likely entirely coincidental.

The article states that the Goldman Sachs sale was over the 3 months of the first quarter - not 'days before' the spill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

alastair wrote: »
    The article states that the Goldman Sachs sale was over the 3 months of the first quarter - not 'days before' the spill.

yes, the original article heading is misleading.. you could put it down to coincidence then I suppose, no biggy... I thought if I posted this on AH, it would be catagorised as CT straight away

• Advertisement
Advertisement