Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorway driving in Ireland

Options
  • 23-07-2010 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi guys,

My name is Gabes and I work as a researcher on Motor Mouth (Newstalk Mon 9-11). We'd like to get the Boards.ie view on the topics we discuss each week. Next Monday one of the issues we'll talk about is motorway driving in Ireland and specifically:
    1) Do Irish people recieve sufficient training and information on correct motorway driving (eg correct use of the outside lane, putting on hazards if you have to slow down quickly)?
    2) Are we good or bad motorway drivers in comparison to drivers in Britain/the rest of Europe? What bad habits have you seen here or abroad?
    3) Are our motorways sufficiently serviced? Were they gritted adequately during the cold snap? Do we need the soon-to-be built motorway service areas?

Let us know what you think.

Thx Gabes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1) Do Irish people recieve sufficient training and information on correct motorway driving (eg correct use of the outside lane, putting on hazards if you have to slow down quickly)?

probably not, but its not much different from DC driving, if anything easier. No offside junctions, no lights.

Lane discipline is not existent.
    hazard use is getting better I think
    2) Are we good or bad motorway drivers in comparison to drivers in Britain/the rest of Europe? What bad habits have you seen here or abroad?

In Italy last week, indicators never used, tailgaiting very common the norm. trucks pull out into overtaking lane a lot seemingly without looking, requiring very heavy braking and tailbacks.

Strangely enough I felt less comfortable on the M50 on the way back from the airport than on the Italian roads...

Britain, Germany, France standard of driving better than here and more predictable in general I think
    3) Are our motorways sufficiently serviced? Were they gritted adequately during the cold snap? Do we need the soon-to-be built motorway service areas?
    yes, yes and not really

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Hi guys,

My name is Gabes and I work as a researcher on Motor Mouth (Newstalk Mon 9-11). We'd like to get the Boards.ie view on the topics we discuss each week. Next Monday one of the issues we'll talk about is motorway driving in Ireland and specifically:

Let us know what you think.

Thx Gabes.

Haha I drove down the M50 and M/N7 on new years day and it was like an ice skating rink. Im sure every other country in the world would split their sides laughing at the though of the probably the most major road in the country frozen solid by some snow... The way this country handled that cold spell around new years in general was beyond a joke.

Well worth reading thru the threads posted above, especially the Stupid Motorway Users thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

No, while this is covered in the theory test it is not covered again unless you're driving instructor goes over it with you. My driving instructor taught me the rules motorway driving on a dual carriage way, before my test. A lot of people see passing the driving test as acknowledgement that they know everything about driving rather than treating it like a continual learning experience. There have been some rules changes since I passed my driving test and apart from the fact that I sought out and learned these rules I would not know about them.

An let's not forget that not every driver out there has sat the theory test, let alone the ones who never sat a driving test.
    I haven't driven outside of Ireland so I can't comment on this other than to say there are a lot of people out there who are very poor drivers.

No, I regularly drive the N7/M7 from Limerick to Dublin and it is not unusual to see debris or abandoned cars on the motorway from one week to the next.

We desperately need on motorway service stations. As it stands when I get on the M7 in Dublin I currently drive as far as Borris in Ossory before I reach a service station without having to go out of my way and leave the motorway. I am open to correction on this, but when the M7 is fully open I will be able to drive from Dublin to Limerick without passing a service station. It's all well and good saying you can get off the motorway for one, but this relies on the fact that you A) know where they are and b) what times of the day they are open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

This thread is totally pointless. These Motorway threads simply go round in circles and end up in fighting and bickering. This gabes ceases to amaze me with his friday evening thread....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Even thinking about the bad habits is boiling my blood - Gabe if you spend at least two days driving the countrys motorways/dual carriageways, you are sure to come up with loads of ideas!!

Advertisement