Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car too smokey? can't be NCTd...

Options
  • 23-07-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

My 98 Ibiza had its NCT yesterday. Or at least it would have if they didn't have to abort the test for health and safety reasons.

The lad said there was too much smoke coming out of the exhaust and it started spewing out when they tried to do the emissions test. Told me to get it sorted by a mechanic before bringing it back.

The car is worth next to nothing so is it even worth getting it seen to?

It doesn't sound like the cheapest fix as I'm assuming some part of the exhaust system will need replacing.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Exhaust system might be ok, but the engine clapped out, or badly needing a service?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...ah, another VAG 1.4 bites the dust.............:)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

what mileage is on the car and is it a 1.4 ?

As above it's unlikely caused the exhaust if it's visibly smokey, probably burning oil and lots of it by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...ah, another VAG 1.4 bites the dust.............:)

Thanks, but it's the 998cc engine.

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    As above it's unlikely caused the exhaust if it's visibly smokey, probably burning oil and lots of it by the sounds of it.

The mileage is 104K.

I've kept an eye on the oil levels and it hasn't been losing any.
    The car is only driven occasionally, sometimes once a month. Although it has been used a couple of times a week for the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Might not be a bid problem if you're not buring oil... it could just be overfueling casuing black smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Drain the oil out of the block before you bring it back next time. :D

New spark plugs and air filter may help sort it so if it's not buring oil, weird though if the NCT folks refused to test it as it was really smokey. Throw it in to the local garage for a looksee, tell them you don't want to spend much fixing it and get them to ring you before they do anything chargable.

If the smoke is blueish, stinks and lingers in the air the engine is knacked, no amount of additive, new filters, spoark plugs etc will sort it out..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Air filter, spark plugs, change of oil and filter should sort it, then drive it in low gears with high revs for a mile or 2, that should clear the exhaust.

tell them your james bond and it is supposed to be like that

Cheers for the helpful replies.

Presumably the above fixes would cost a few hundred euros. Even with the smoke problem gone there are several issues that are likely to cause an NCT fail.

I've been seriously thinking of getting a bigger car anyway.
    Would the Ibiza be worth anything?
    For the most part it's in pretty good shape, brakes were done at last service, good tyres, interior very tidy, taxed til September.

if you want to get rid of it put it on done deal.ie adds on this site you might get a couple hundred if your lucky because it has no nct

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It will be worth money as a trade-in in a scrappage scheme. Many second-hand dealers are operating their own scrappage offers so you don't have to get a new car. The car is worth a few hundred euro at best so scrappage of €1k or more and you're laughing.

seamus wrote: »
    It will be worth money as a trade-in in a scrappage scheme. Many second-hand dealers are operating their own scrappage offers so you don't have to get a new car. The car is worth a few hundred euro at best so scrappage of €1k or more and you're laughing.

I'd be looking to get a car worth 2-3k, probably a Mazda 323.

Can't see dealers being too happy taking in a no NCT Ibiza when they're making so little money on the transaction.

kasper wrote: »
    if you want to get rid of it put it on done deal.ie adds on this site you might get a couple hundred if your lucky because it has no nct

Just be careful scumbags don't buy it for a "company car" to drive around without screeds. A few came out to buy my old dears Golf a number of years ago and I showed them the gate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

RichyX wrote: »
    Cheers for the helpful replies.

Presumably the above fixes would cost a few hundred euros. Even with the smoke problem gone there are several issues that are likely to cause an NCT fail.

I've been seriously thinking of getting a bigger car anyway.
    Would the Ibiza be worth anything?
    For the most part it's in pretty good shape, brakes were done at last service, good tyres, interior very tidy, taxed til September.

A quick service with oil, filters and plugs would cost very little.
    You car without NCT is worthless but with a fresh cert you would get back more than you put into it.
    Have an independant give it a quick check for the above and try again, it could be worth your while.

Think I'll chance my arm and try to trade it in in its current state.
    There are too many small issues that need to be sorted to make fixing it for the NCT worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Just be careful scumbags don't buy it for a "company car" to drive around without screeds. A few came out to buy my old dears Golf a number of years ago and I showed them the gate.
    Out of curiosity - what's a "company car"?
    Also what are "screeds"?

• Advertisement

a company car is a car that is usually bought by someone that drives it without nct tax and insurance , the buyer usually gives a bogus address for the change of ownership , these cars are usually driven until they stop , by engine failure suspension failure etc brake failure just means they have to use something or someone to run into to slow down or stop

A dealer has offered me a 00 1.6 Octavia, 85k miles for €2050, including trade in of my Ibiza.
    2 years NCT but no tax.
    Drives well although the body is a bit scruffy.

How does that sound for a deal?

He gave the Ibiza a good rev and there was a lot of blue tinged smoke alright. Reckoned it'd never pass an NCT.

I know there are issues with the VAG 1.4, but is the 1.6 as susceptible to problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also what are "screeds"?
    Windscreen decorations. Tax, insurance and NCT discs.

Don't ever sell a car to scumbags for that use as you will end up spending alot of time down the local cop shop explaining yourself when they knock down some little old lady in their uninsured car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

RichyX wrote: »
    A dealer has offered me a 00 1.6 Octavia, 85k miles for €2050, including trade in of my Ibiza.
    2 years NCT but no tax.
    Drives well although the body is a bit scruffy.

How does that sound for a deal?

He gave the Ibiza a good rev and there was a lot of blue tinged smoke alright. Reckoned it'd never pass an NCT.

I know there are issues with the VAG 1.4, but is the 1.6 as susceptible to problems?

Not a bad price , are they offering any warranty ?

Advertisement