Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyre Sizes / Confused on size

Options
  • 23-07-2010 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭

Just looking at Tyre sizes

Currently have Volvo Alloys on the car and the Tyres are 205/55/R16

Stuck in the Details of the car on euromaster.de ... and it says it should have 195/65/R16 on it.

Is there any particular reason for this ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I have no idea why they would give you the wrong tyre size, but assuming the current tyres are the correct size (factory fitted from new), the euromaster.de ones are close to 4.5% over size, may foul body-work / suspension on full lock or over bumps (too tall) and at 70 mph your speedo will read > 73 mph

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Make sure there all 'E' marked as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

The manual will have listed best tyre size for economy and safety. You can get away with putting on slightly wider tyres (205 in your case) than what is recommended. Any wider and you would need to change the rims to suit. Your tyres are lower profile (65) than what what your manual says. People do this for either the 'sportier' look and possible improved handling. The tyres on your car are very close in size to what's recommended, so there shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

If the correct tyre size is 195/65 then the best 205 would be 205/60 rather than 205/55

Difference in Diameter would be 1.23% with 205/60 instead of 4.43% with the 205/55. But maybe the last tyre shop didn't have them in stock and just went with the lower profile.

but TBH it will make feck all difference really bar the speedometer and maybe a bit better handling on the lower profile 205's.

I had 185's on my car when I bought it and changed up to 205 - the difference was Unbelievable.

http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The current tyres are the incorrect size,they should have gone to 205/60/16 to keep the overall diameter similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

205/55/16
    Radius = 316mm
    Diamater = 632mm
    Revs per km = 504

195/65/16
    Radius 330mm
    Diameter = 670mm
    revs per km = 482

5% difference... in speedo... am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Well the current Tyres are Winters ... Don't know if that makes a difference.

Will checkout the manual and see what it says ! :)

Advertisement