Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widescreen/Macro Lens for Desire (And many other phones)

Options
  • 22-07-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

It's a 13mm wide-angle/0.67x Macro Lens for the Desire (And plenty of other phones). Found it on XDA and i've got to say, the lens makes macro shots look brilliant. Only $10.37 as well :D

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14953

Here's a few sample shots and a few with lens attached to a desire
    It attaches to the phone by a magnet and fits over any lens 13mm or less in diameter.

4814692040_2e31b66fbf.jpg
    4814692310_b36582ed1d.jpg
    4815617780_7e1991347d.jpg
    4815673152_4f4862e33f.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Bought mine a few weeks back, hasn't arrived yet though. I'd be interested to see some video taken with the lenses, both macro and wide-angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Haven't a clue about photography but have always wanted to be able to take nicer shots, this looks like a cheap solution (that I'm sure photography heads would bark at - but them lovely canon cams are just too pricey for the use I think I'd give one if I was to get it). So can I ask, what's a "wide angle"? Is it like a fisheye? I don't see a fisheye effect in any of the shots you've taken above though? I know what Macro is thankfully, just an up close shot, as far as I know :D

Do you think this would has enough magnetic force to stay put on a silicone case? :)

Wide-angle is basically a negative zoom. You see more than you do with nothing attached, so objects appear further away/smaller.

Ah ok :) Thanks for that, may be worth it for what will be about 7euro anyway :)

Got mine, here's a quick vid I made :

Quite impressed for the price. I put on the extra magnetic hoop because it's pretty thin and doesn't bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Could one of you bozos post some pics of your phone with the lenses attached, please? (Baza especially)

I was looking at buying one of these a few weeks back but I held off because I thought the metal ring would cover the flash, or possibly not fit over the weirdly-shaped camera bit on the back cover.

Magnetic ring:
    P7260132.JPG

P7260133.JPG

Lens assembly:
    P7260134.JPG

P7260138.JPG

P7260139.JPG

P7260140.JPG

You need the full kit to use it as a wide-angle, or just the smaller half to use it as a macro.

Thankfully it still fits into my PS3 pad dock thing, although it needs a bit more of a push.

P7260141.JPG

Cheers... I know I'm going to look like the world's biggest dork with that thing strapped to my phone, but I'm tempted to get one anyway.

I don't get the best hold on it. Are you guys using the adhesive ring? There's no hope if it holding on the back of a silicone case anyway and the adhesive ring doesn't really stick to that either. I've to take off the back case to get it to hold the weight of itself :o

Adhesive works perfectly here. It sticks to the metallic(ish) part around the lens. You have to really push it down for a few seconds on first application.

Haven't had any trouble with the lens falling off either, it's very light.

edit: sorry, just saw the part about the silicon case. Yeah, that probably won't do you any favours. I use a pouch for mine so I can just stick the ring to the back of the phone.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info, yeah, think it's fruitless to get it to stick to the silicone, stuck one to the case anyway and silicone case still fits snug around it so that's grand :)

It's quite hard to snap a good shot with the macro, especially freehand, not supported against anything, this is the best I've got so far (but still needed to rotate in photoshop as it wasn't straight).

33496_489486971520_659461520_6551219_3683643_n.jpg

Be careful with the wide-angle lens on the keychain attachment... mine managed to unscrew itself and fall off somewhere, so I've had to buy another one.

Advertisement