Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How good is Babel fish?

Options
  • 22-07-2010 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

I was quite surprised at the quality myself, is the role of a professional translator in danger of becoming obselete?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

GoogleTrans is pretty darn good for the main European languages.

I work in the field myself and it is a great way of finding out how good a translator is. You wouldn't believe how many candidates run a file through GoogleTrans and expect us not to notice the difference.

Human translators will never become obsolete. Machine translation can take a lot of the grunt work away for technical translations (manuals etc), but certain translations like marketing, press releases, will always require a creative touch that automatic translation just cannot give.

Advertisement