Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance for a 92 car

Options
  • 22-07-2010 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    when in doubt Boards has always come up trumps with info for me, so here I am again!

Have seen a lovely '92 Mazda MX5, soft top. Great nick, blah blah. Its a bit of a drive away, so before I trek down I wanted to see what the insurance would be. Having trouble getting a company to quote on it - my current company won't insure because it is 92 - the oldest they will quote on is 95. The only other company my broker can get a quote from is Aviva and they will not honour my bonus (over 5 yrs) will only honour 2 and won't give any introductory discount. So its coming in at nearly €900. A lot of others won't quote because its a jap import.

Do you guys know the name of companies/brokers who will quote on a 92 car, classified as a sports, jap import?

cheers everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Find a broker who deals with Setanta and give them a try.

Try Britton as well.

Why wont Aviva honour your NCB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I was driving a 92 BMW for 6 months with FBD. no problem. My policy did go up by about 20 euro, after switching from a 99 BMW. They said the reason for the increase was the age of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

what company is that? as it sounds to be a bull****...

my car is 94 jap import skyline, worse combination ever. and i had no problem with it... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

The problem is it's a older sports Jap import convertible. That's all the things insurance companies hate most in one model.

TBH, you will struggle to find many companies willing to quote you. I have a similar age and spec Jap import (sporty in the MX5 sense rather than the Skyline sense) and I get a lot of "oh, we don't insure those"s. I got good results via the AA though, and a lot of people in similar cars talk about Setanta being good as well, although I haven't got a quote from them as yet.

blastman wrote: »
    The problem is it's a older sports Jap import convertible. That's all the things insurance companies hate most in one model.

TBH, you will struggle to find many companies willing to quote you. I have a similar age and spec Jap import (sporty in the MX5 sense rather than the Skyline sense) and I get a lot of "oh, we don't insure those"s. I got good results via the AA though, and a lot of people in similar cars talk about Setanta being good as well, although I haven't got a quote from them as yet.

actually you could be right on that m8. They are more scared of convertable, then jap imports or old car.

i could insure jap import mr2 turbo, but they refused to insura mazda mx5 untill i get 35... that didnt stoped me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Hi everyone,
    when in doubt Boards has always come up trumps with info for me, so here I am again!

Have seen a lovely '92 Mazda MX5, soft top. Great nick, blah blah. Its a bit of a drive away, so before I trek down I wanted to see what the insurance would be. Having trouble getting a company to quote on it - my current company won't insure because it is 92 - the oldest they will quote on is 95. The only other company my broker can get a quote from is Aviva and they will not honour my bonus (over 5 yrs) will only honour 2 and won't give any introductory discount. So its coming in at nearly €900. A lot of others won't quote because its a jap import.

Do you guys know the name of companies/brokers who will quote on a 92 car, classified as a sports, jap import?

cheers everyone!

My 92' NA costs 450 euro with Aviva but its an Irish car.Btw If youre buying an early 90's mx5 , the power was reduced from 116bhp to 86 bhp in 93'.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭autotrader

I haa lot of hassle getting a quote on an mx5. Eventually i got a quote of 2.5k even though the same company ,axa, charges me 800 on my M3:rolleyes:

autotrader wrote: »
    I haa lot of hassle getting a quote on an mx5. Eventually i got a quote of 2.5k even though the same company ,axa, charges me 800 on my M3:rolleyes:

yup, been there m8. whanted me to be 30++, but still would insurme twice more powerfull cars for no increase...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭jaffa20

autotrader wrote: »
    yup, been there m8. whanted me to be 30++, but still would insurme twice more powerfull cars for no increase...

That's mad though! I'm only 24 and insure.ie has no problem insuring me on the mx5 at a good price. They don't cover damage to the hood though. I did look at other insurance companies though and they didn't like the idea of the convertible as the premiums were sky high. This could be a problem for me come renewal time when i want to price around :(

Advise to also try britton insurance. They seem to insure anyone on anything but their excess is quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi everyone,

cheers everyone!

Since when do Insurance companies decline because of the age of the car , thats just an excuse . Which Insurance company is it ?

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    That's mad though! I'm only 24 and insure.ie has no problem insuring me on the mx5 at a good price. They don't cover damage to the hood though. I did look at other insurance companies though and they didn't like the idea of the convertible as the premiums were sky high. This could be a problem for me come renewal time when i want to price around :(

Advise to also try britton insurance. They seem to insure anyone on anything but their excess is quite high.

dont know m8, i think its from old times, as one fella told me, that you couldnt get insurance on cabrio at all! :eek:

It was extremly weird for me, as i owned mx5, then bought a skyline, they whanted me to be 30 years old aswell ( same thing said, when i bought mx5, and i was driving clk200). so basicly they put skyline and mx5 in same boat, which is really really weird... 2 different classes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

thanks for the replies guys.
    I'm with AXA via AA broker for our current car. Axa won't insure this car as a second car policy. So I have to go to another company as seperate insurance. Aviva coming in cheapest at €800. That is because they are quoting me with no NCB because that is being used on the first car.

I have asked them to remove the NCB on first car so I can use it on the mazda but wait for it......they said it would increase my premium by €400 for the last 6 mths of the policy! That means the policy on my 99 opel corsa would be equivalent of €1200 annually!!!
    I am 30+, over 5 yrs NCB, no points etc.

Can't get carole whatever it is insurance to quote as the car isn't old enough. Axa (my current provider) won't add it as second car because its too old, and other providers won't honour my NCB because it is on the other car. Nor will they quote me for a 2 car package so they CAN honour it (I was thinking to cancel current policy, get refunded pro-rata and then take a new policy, but that's a non starter!)

I'll try setanta....

can't go to Britton as they won't insure my hubby as he has only lived permanently in Ireland for 2 yrs and they request 3 yrs residency before they will quote :rolleyes:

failing that, I'll just have to forget it.....
    but it really is gorgeous :(

Advertisement