Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety / Panic/ Lexapro / Gerax

Options
  • 22-07-2010 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi All,
    I started this thread cos I dont want to hijack another persons. Feel free to move if its in the wrong place.

But I have been suffereing with severe anxiety & panic for a long time now. Of course I get down over this but Im not depressed.
    Im a young woman whos life is just not anwhere I wanted it to be because of the paninc I feel. I have tried 10 months of cognative therapy, Ive tried hypnosis & a few year ago was on citalopram to deal with it. I came off it as I didnt think it was helping me day to day.

This morning I went to my GP to explain things to him. He perscribed 5mgs of Lexapro daily & Gerax to top it up with when I have something coming up on a particular day to give me that extra boost. Gerax are 250mg tablets and it saus to take 2 on a day. That soubds like a bloody high dose to me??? Im waiting on my doc to call me back on this. I am petrified of taking these. I know I need to but Im afraid of losing my libido, Im afraid of wanting to to sleep all the time because thats the way I was on the citalopram. Im not looking for medical advise - I dont know what Im looking for really. Maybe other peoples experiences of taking these drugs & with this panic & anxiety.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

250mg isn't a big dose of Gerax, I wouldn't worry about that.

Lexapro can be rather benign. I've found very few side effects at 10mg with no loss of libido. Your mileage may vary but I would suggest you try it without any preconceptions and see how you get on. You may tolerate it very well and find little to no negative side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

nesf wrote: »
    250mg isn't a big dose of Gerax, I wouldn't worry about that.

250 mg of gerax is a big dose, 250 mcg isn't, however ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

sam34 wrote: »
    250 mg of gerax is a big dose, 250 mcg isn't, however ;)

Hehe, I'd *love* to see the state of my patients if I was a shrink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Idina

Thanks for the replies!

Yip its 250mcg - so I guess Im not gonna overdose then :D.
    Ive just taken my first gerax as I have something on later today & Im very wound up over it & panicky so Ill see how I get on. Ill start taking the Lexapro tonight then.

Now Im not planning on going out & drinking the pub dry but am I ok to have a few beers tonight or will I go off my head mixing it with the drugs. As I said not planning on going mad on vodka or anything just a few sociables?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Hi there,

Have you ever been tested for thyroid function or adrenal function? It sounds mad to me that you've tried all these things and nothing has helped yet. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm hypothyroid and I suffer from adrenal fatigue and last year I went through a horrendous period of panic attacks and that was all due to thyroid/adrenal misfunction and disappeared as quickly as it came on once the hormones were sorted! So just something to bear in mind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was on Lexapro for a few months and didn't lose my sex drive, but you kinda just have to wait it out and see yourself 'cause medications affect people differently. Also, that's a pretty low dose so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try not to focus on the side effects.

As for drinking, personally, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure the leaflet says to avoid alcohol. That said, I have on occasion drank and I take anti-depressants and I've always been fine - as in no major issues. However, I tend to get very down when I drink so for that reason alone, I try to avoid it.

Best of luck on your new medication anyway, and I hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Idina wrote: »
    Yip its 250mcg - so I guess Im not gonna overdose then
    mcg or not gerax/alprazolam is very addictive. very short half life. be very careful. and do not drink at all

Hey lady,

gerax is known to be addictive. i myself have been on it since march but i've only had two perscriptions. in other words i only use it when i REALLY need it. it says 'take three a day' but don't, take as you need it. doc will say the same.

drinking on them will just increase their effect, if you're on the .25 i wouldn't worry about it. if you're planning on having one or two then have one or two, but don't take the xanax/ gerax beforehand. i have drank on xanax and i just got messy... but i did drink like 7 pints... so it was probably more the drink than the drug!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm not sure about the effects of Lexapro and alcohol, but I can tell you now that mixing Gerax (aka Xanax, aka Alprazolam) is not a good idea.

If you do intend to drink, I'd suggest taking it very easy.
    In your condition, the effects of a hangover are multiplied.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I was on Lexapro for 9 months and didn't notice that it helped me any so I came off it. The withdrawal symptoms we re terrible and I tapered it down for about 4months to come off it. When I told the doc about the withdrawal symptoms she just shrugged and said 'really?', but looking very disinterested. I don't think they have a clue what they are prescribing half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I was on lexapro for a while when i was really bad with panic disorder/pts and i found it really helped i was only on 10 or 15mg then down to 5 and i found it just took the edge of the attacks and i could handle stuff more, but i still have to go back on them from time to time.
    So you should give it a go anyway best of luck with it, but i had been on a few different meds before lexapro that did nothing or just made me go off the wall so yeah... just gotta find what works for you.

Hey guys.

I know this thread focuses mostly on meds and their effectiveness, but thought I'd share with you my experiences of CBT. I know that CBT is quite expensive (I spent 800 euro on it) but it was worth every single penny. I just finished up my last session today and I feel great. I realise that anxiety/ panic is a disorder that will be with you for life and it's up to you to keep checks on yourself and to get help when you need it. I am absolutely thrilled with how effective it was and I would suggest it to anyone on here over meds. I tried meds for a few days but the side effects were crazy for me. Gerax is great but I'm slowly letting go of them as I don't need them as much as I used to! Thank god.

Hope all is well, remember to fight the fight and anxiety does not hurt us!

CBT Guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Hey guys.

I know this thread focuses mostly on meds and their effectiveness, but thought I'd share with you my experiences of CBT. I know that CBT is quite expensive (I spent 800 euro on it) but it was worth every single penny. I just finished up my last session today and I feel great. I realise that anxiety/ panic is a disorder that will be with you for life and it's up to you to keep checks on yourself and to get help when you need it. I am absolutely thrilled with how effective it was and I would suggest it to anyone on here over meds. I tried meds for a few days but the side effects were crazy for me. Gerax is great but I'm slowly letting go of them as I don't need them as much as I used to! Thank god.

Hope all is well, remember to fight the fight and anxiety does not hurt us!

CBT Guy

hey, where did you get cbt?

Hey man,

it was in the Meath-area, I don't want to go into details just because I went anon for a reason. If you google your area and CBT you should be able to find one... They're pretty common, I'd say. Just make sure they've good qualifications! Panic attacks basically disappeared for me after two-three sessions, anxiety is reduced but still there from time to time, OCD went away after one session. I don't think it's about the actual therapist, it's more to do with you and how well you follow their instructions/ advice. Give it a go, guys!

CBT Guy

Have I tried reading a book by Claire Weekend called ' Self help for your nerves' It is absolutely brilliant and it has been my life saver

Advertisement