Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance grant - change of circumstances to independent candidate

Options
  • 22-07-2010 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭

Has anybody ever successfully appealed a maintenance grant decision / been awarded a re-assessment?

Basically, my partner's application for his first year of his degree (09-10) was based on his residence on 1st October 2008. On that date he was temporarily living at his family home, so had to apply as a dependent mature candidate.

However, since then (and before) he has not been living there, i.e. including 1st October 2009.

We were hoping that for his 2010-2011 grant application, he would therefore be assessed as an independent mature candidate. Unfortunately, it seems this is not possible - the grant for the entire time of the course (3 years) is based on the circumstances (i.e. dependency status / residence status) of the initial application. The 'change of circumstances' forms are only for where there is a change in income from the original application submitted.

We're hoping to submit some sort of appeal / application for them to consider his case and re-assess him as independent. Has anybody here had similar issues / ever successfully done this?

It might be complicated further by the fact that he lives in a different county to that which gave him the grant last year...:(

Advertisement