Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brad Pitt to star in World War Z movie.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

wow a world war z movie would be interesting,

but seeing as some of the accounts are fairly short would they expand them??? expanding them would risk destroying the sheer awesomenss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

.SONIC. wrote: »
    wow a world war z movie would be interesting,

but seeing as some of the accounts are fairly short would they expand them??? expanding them would risk destroying the sheer awesomenss!!

Im only assuming they would have to draw out some of the situations.

I think as there is a fine balance between explaning Z's and action and some Z bashing I think this will be received pretty well.

We dont need an all out action film IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

For me,the best bit of the book is that it focuses on the reactions and the effects on the people[that feral little girl *shudders*]

if it's just another hack n' slash zombie flick I'll be disappointed to say the least.

Brad pitt? REALLY ? that's a facepalm waiting to happen IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I'll give Pitt the botd for this one. Brooks is keeping some control i think and if done right it could be very good. Gabby Hayes good!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The fact they're making the star the interviewer would indicate to me they plan on doing most of the film in the interview room. This could allow for massive profits if you think about it. They can make a somewhat serious Zombie film on the cheap playing in the odd scene of Zombies and getting most of the film out of the acting in the interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Yeah this news has been out there for a while. He was the leading candidate since his company won the bidding war to the rights of the book and it makes sense that Max wants him as that's immediate box office draw. From what Brooks has said tho - he really had been removed from the development process.

I've read 2 different versions of the script and both are VERY different. Word out is that there is another more current version out there. Trying to get my hands on it! :mad:

The problem I have w/ what I have read is that I feel the thing should be done as a mini-series and NOT as a 2 hour, or even 4 hour, movie. There is just too much to cover. Too much good stuff will get left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

ScumLord wrote: »
    The fact they're making the star the interviewer would indicate to me they plan on doing most of the film in the interview room.

A bit like Christian Slater in "Interview with the Vampire" . If it went down the interview route it would be very cool. Shows the person being interviewed with scenes and flashbacks to their particular story. I think it would be impossible to do the full book. Maybe focus on some of the best parts (very hard as its all good).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

What about them doing it as a series,

I know the sequel word can be dirty but if they where to go that way and focus One movie on the US where the biggest draw would be then a sequel a year later depending on how it went with the first movie going around different areas of the world

Eg,

First movie - Us and Canada, dealing with all the stuff like yonkers and the reclamation.

Once thats out and if it does well kaching, they have the other stories as a backdrop instead of trying to fit 10 stories into a 120min movie.

There would be no real room for character development. Other than. Ok she's a pilot who heard voices, he's a blind japanese guy, he's a japanese nerd who has a sword, he's a soldier, he's a black guy who's giving out about the jews. etc.

Doing it that way would be quite shallow imo.

allanb49 wrote: »
    What about them doing it as a series,

I know the sequel word can be dirty but if they where to go that way and focus One movie on the US where the biggest draw would be then a sequel a year later depending on how it went with the first movie going around different areas of the world

Eg,

First movie - Us and Canada, dealing with all the stuff like yonkers and the reclamation.

Once thats out and if it does well kaching, they have the other stories as a backdrop instead of trying to fit 10 stories into a 120min movie.

There would be no real room for character development. Other than. Ok she's a pilot who heard voices, he's a blind japanese guy, he's a japanese nerd who has a sword, he's a soldier, he's a black guy who's giving out about the jews. etc.

Doing it that way would be quite shallow imo.

Yup - completely agree allan. AMC is doing that with the Walking Dead and it looks to be pretty bad ass. Can't wait to see it.

The best script I read has Gerry, the interviewer, going through the process of assembling his report while flashing back at various points to other stories he's heard. I just don't know how they can hit everything in a 2-3hr movie honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The question for me is whether this will be an action film or a horror film. I hope for the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Valmont wrote: »
    The question for me is whether this will be an action film or a horror film. I hope for the latter.
    I don't particularly want it to be either I'd like the mockumentry style as seen in district 9, which I suppose is really an action film at heart. Horrors just seem to descend into gore fests these days. Very few actual horror films.

I don't think it would work as a horror though, to the characters in the book/film it wouldn't really be horror as they've lived through it, dealt with it and sort of moved on. No matter how horrifying something is if people experience it often enough they'll become immune to the horror and just see it as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

POST CONTAINS SPOILERS
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't particularly want it to be either I'd like the mockumentry style as seen in district 9, which I suppose is really an action film at heart. Horrors just seem to descend into gore fests these days. Very few actual horror films.

I don't think it would work as a horror though, to the characters in the book/film it wouldn't really be horror as they've lived through it, dealt with it and sort of moved on. No matter how horrifying something is if people experience it often enough they'll become immune to the horror and just see it as normal.
    I think it would work really well as a hybrid.

Yonkers as an action scene and the Japanese sequences[the earleir ones] would be pretty high energy,I imagine.
    Whereas the downed pilot in the swamp woud be great horror,if I remember right she hallucinates at one point[or thinks she does]

I think it could work along the lines of old school Alien/Predator films,with some high tension moments and certain over exposure,blood guts and explosions scenes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Quadsey

The best thing that could be done for that book would be a high budget single season T.V series. That way depending on which account they are covering they could use a whole episode for the long accounts or put several small accounts in one episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Yeah, Just read the book, a MiniSeries would be the most logical as I'd like to se parts o it padded out rather than the whole thing being condensed into 90 minuted.

The Chinese Sub, The Army, Israel, all deserve individual episodes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

The merc's story alone could fill an episode quite nicely if you paired him with the doggies.

Anyone Ever See the TV Series

'the World at War'

I have the 30 hour Box set, thats what WWZ needs ;)

Anyone Ever See the TV Series

'the World at War'

I have the 30 hour Box set, thats what WWZ needs ;)
    That may be what it needs and deserves, it will not however get that

Dunno, if this tv Series kicks off on Halowen and gets decent Ratings HBO might be Ameniable to the concept

That could happen. I hope.

• Advertisement

Well from what I've seen/read The Walking Dead is gonna be most bad ass. Everything about it looks like they are doing it right. Frank Darabont, the director, is positively giddy every time he talks about it. I'm not sure if that will help WWZ or not. I think it's locked in for being a feature movie but that doesn't mean a series couldn't be developed from it.

I know Brad Pitt is scheduled to be the star - but I'd propose they change that to James Badge Dale. He's on the AMC show Rubicon right now and was in the HBO series The Pacific, most recently. IMO he would be PERFECT for the main character...

They should use the movie to launch the miniseries. That would be awesomeness

They should use the movie to launch the miniseries. That would be awesomeness

Right on... that's our best hope right now I think!

Really, it's also0 a serious moneymaker for anyone who has a piece of the project. The dvd sales alone would be worth a fortune. Then you consider all the other merchandise they could pump out for it.

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    Well from what I've seen/read The Walking Dead is gonna be most bad ass. Everything about it looks like they are doing it right. Frank Darabont, the director, is positively giddy every time he talks about it. I'm not sure if that will help WWZ or not. I think it's locked in for being a feature movie but that doesn't mean a series couldn't be developed from it.

I know Brad Pitt is scheduled to be the star - but I'd propose they change that to James Badge Dale. He's on the AMC show Rubicon right now and was in the HBO series The Pacific, most recently. IMO he would be PERFECT for the main character...

Well - he didn't get the main part but Mr Dale WILL be in WWZ! Man I can't wait to see this - and I really REALLY hope they do it justice.

http://www.movies.ie/movie_news/james_badge_dale_headed_to_world_war_z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

An interview style (interview with a vampire) mixed in with a REC2 (even though it wasnt great) swat team footage and a twist ending were everyone lives happy ever after (just for the laughs of dissapointing people)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

local_08_temp-1308550404-4dfee504-620x348.jpg

WWZ currently filming in Malta.

NTM

Advertisement